Author Topic: PM6 Color management issue in slide show  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Goos van der Veen

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
PM6 Color management issue in slide show
« on: March 27, 2019, 09:29:44 AM »
It looks like color profiles are ignored in slide show, colors are way off compared to Preview
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 03:17:25 PM by Goos van der Veen »

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM6 Color management issue in slide show
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 05:06:00 PM »
Was this in Slide Show in full screen or had you made it go into windowed mode?

What OS are you running?

-Kirk

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 04:26:50 AM »
Hi Kirk,

it was in full-screen; don't know how to 'window' it*). But I did try Live Slide Show too, and it has the same problem. And I found that when I start the slide show, during less than a second, a message is displayed: Tag:unset. It's not a standard dialog format, font size is much bigger; see attachment.

OS is High Sierra, latest version, on a Mac Pro. I'm using an Eizo wide-gamut screen.

*) Couldn't find anything about 'windowed mode' in Help Center on the CB site

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 07:11:31 AM »
it was in full-screen; don't know how to 'window' it*). But I did try Live Slide Show too, and it has the same problem. And I found that when I start the slide show, during less than a second, a message is displayed: Tag:unset. It's not a standard dialog format, font size is much bigger; see attachment.

Did you press any keys prior to that message appearing?

OS is High Sierra, latest version, on a Mac Pro. I'm using an Eizo wide-gamut screen.

*) Couldn't find anything about 'windowed mode' in Help Center on the CB site

Yes, sorry, the documentation is in progress.  You can press the 'f' key to toggle full screen to windowed mode.  This lets you move the window to a different screen if you wish, press 'f' again to go back to full screen.

-Kirk

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 09:05:48 AM »
No, just Cmd-L and then hit the start button in the Slide Show Prefs dialog. The message appears very briefly, it's gone in a second. It

BTW, I forgot to mention that I have two screens hooked up to my computer: the aforementioned 27" Eizo and a cheap 24". PM6 was only active on the Eizo.

BTW, I just tried the window mode with the f-key, that went well, but when I hit the f-key again, I got the image in the same small size as in the window, somewhere in the top left corner of the screen. (see attachment)

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 09:10:04 AM »
I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 09:32:06 AM »
Here's the log.

I just had a crash when starting a slide show; after hitting Start the screen went white (my chosen background color) but no image appeared, the only way out was to force quit PM6. After restarting PM I've sent in the crash log that came up; if you don't have it then one of your colleagues will, I suppose...

Sorry for the trouble...

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 09:39:43 AM »
No trouble.

OK.  I'm going to have you turn on some additional logging.  You need to create a plain text file named PMDebug.txt and it has to be in PM's Preferences folder.

PM's Preferences folder will be in the following location:

~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/

Unfortunately Apple decided a few OS versions ago to hide the Library folder within your home folder.  You can still get there though by using the "Go to Folder..." command on the Go menu in the finder.  Enter the path above in the dialog that appears.

Create your PMDebug.txt file there and make it have the following contents:

SLIDESHOW_LOGGING ON

Save the file and relaunch PM6 and use the Slide Show.  Try the 'f' key toggle like you did before.  You can then use the "Reveal Support Data..." command on the Help menu to get the updated zipped log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:44:56 AM by Kirk Baker »

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 10:32:44 AM »
Save the file and relaunch PM5 and use the Slide Show.

I suppose you mean PM6?
BTW, just started a slide show in PM5, and colors are fine there, so it's definitely a PM6 thing...

Here is the new PM_log.zip
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:52:27 AM by Goos van der Veen »

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 11:22:52 AM »
Save the file and relaunch PM5 and use the Slide Show.

I suppose you mean PM6?
BTW, just started a slide show in PM5, and colors are fine there, so it's definitely a PM6 thing...

Here is the new PM_log.zip

Yes, I did mean PM6.  Sorry, it was a prepared text that I previously used for PM5.

Could you do the test again with a smaller set of files and get the problem to happen as quickly as possible, quitting the slide show right after the problem occurs?  That last run produced over nine thousand lines of logging. ;)

Thanks,

-Kirk

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 12:03:48 PM »
OK, here's another one. No crashes lately...

PS I'm offline for an hour or so...

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 03:57:23 PM »
It's almost midnight here. This is what we found so far in Slide Show:

1. Image color is oversaturated, at least on a well-calibrated wide gamut monitor.
2. When returning from windowed slide show to full-screen, the image appears in small size in the top left corner of the screen. Solution: jump to the next image, that will appear OK, then jump back, everything is fine again. No big deal.
3. Occasional text message "Tag:unset" very briefly at start of slide show. No big deal, though.
3. Occasional crash: on Start, slide show screen opens but no images. PM6 doesn't respond anymore, must force quit.

Kirk, I hope you can replicate the nasty ones. I'll be away for most of the day tomorrow, but my evening is your afternoon, so don't hesitate to contact me if you want me to try something.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 04:36:18 PM »
Thanks.  I'll take a look at the issues when I get some time.  I've finally got a system local to me that exhibits the poor performance issue that so many users are experiencing.  So I'll be working on that until we can get it fixed.

PM6 should be fast for everyone.

-Kirk