Author Topic: Serious issues with autoplay and ingest on Ver 4.5.0.0.  (Read 4142 times)

Offline jimb

• View Profile
Serious issues with autoplay and ingest on Ver 4.5.0.0.
« on: April 06, 2007, 06:18:54 AM »
Just installed release ver 4.5.0.0 on Win XP SP2 MCE....

Inserting/removing CF cards from my reader causes PM 4.5.0.0 to crash. This occurs in the following situations:

1. PM is already running. Insert a card in the reader and choose "View files..." (not ingest). PM crashes.
2. PM is not running. Insert CF card and choose "Ingest...". PM starts. Cancel out of the ingest dialog, remove the card. PM crashes.
3. PM is running, or not. Insert card, choose "Ingest...". Start filling out the ingest dialog. PM crashes at random points in the process. Sometimes the ingest works, but when you remove the CF card, PM crashes.
4. A card is already in the reader when PM starts. Remove the card, PM crashes.

There may well be others. I can consistently duplicate all of these.

None of this occurred with the final beta. This morning I uninstalled the beta, installed the release version, and all of this stuff started happening. This is pretty serious. Essentially I can no longer use PM to ingest. I can no longer even view CF cards with explorer while PM is running without it crashing. Trust me, no other changes have been made to the system other than what I just stated. To confirm this, I restored my system to a checkpoint from 2 days ago, and reinstalled PM 4.5. All of the above bad stuff still happens, pointing to 4.5 as the culprit. I have also done limited testing with other applications that use the reader with no problems.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 06:54:24 AM by jimb »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Serious issues with autoplay and ingest on Ver 4.5.0.0.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 07:26:44 AM »
Jim,

Just installed release ver 4.5.0.0 on Win XP SP2 MCE....

Inserting/removing CF cards from my reader causes PM 4.5.0.0 to crash. This occurs in the following situations:

1. PM is already running. Insert a card in the reader and choose "View files..." (not ingest). PM crashes.
2. PM is not running. Insert CF card and choose "Ingest...". PM starts. Cancel out of the ingest dialog, remove the card. PM crashes.
3. PM is running, or not. Insert card, choose "Ingest...". Start filling out the ingest dialog. PM crashes at random points in the process. Sometimes the ingest works, but when you remove the CF card, PM crashes.
4. A card is already in the reader when PM starts. Remove the card, PM crashes.

There may well be others. I can consistently duplicate all of these.

None of this occurred with the final beta. This morning I uninstalled the beta, installed the release version, and all of this stuff started happening. This is pretty serious. Essentially I can no longer use PM to ingest. I can no longer even view CF cards with explorer while PM is running without it crashing. Trust me, no other changes have been made to the system other than what I just stated. To confirm this, I restored my system to a checkpoint from 2 days ago, and reinstalled PM 4.5. All of the above bad stuff still happens, pointing to 4.5 as the culprit. I have also done limited testing with other applications that use the reader with no problems.

I'm going to get the engineer who wrote the AutoPlay implementation to respond to you.  But in the meantime, try disabling the Navigator.  When PM is running, go to the View menu, and un-check the Navigator menu item.  Restart PM.  Make sure the Navigator is still not visible.  Then try to use your CF cards.

Let me know if that solves the issue.  If so, then we can expect that the Navigator is responsible for your problem.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Kirk

Offline jimb

• View Profile
Re: Serious issues with autoplay and ingest on Ver 4.5.0.0.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 07:50:29 AM »
OK, I turned the Navigator display off and some quick tests indicate that PM doesn't crash when doing stuff with the CF cards. But let's say, for example, that I do an ingest, turn the navigator display back on then remove the card...PM crashes. So it does appear the Navigator is responsible for the problem.

Until this gets fixed (soon, hopefully) I assume that whenever I want to do anything with a CF card, I must turn the Navigator display off. (Is there a hidden shortcut key to turn it on/off?)

Thanks for your help.