Author Topic: Globes  (Read 3733 times)

Offline rienvanham

• View Profile
Globes
« on: March 28, 2019, 11:02:36 AM »
No bug... just wondering:

What is the purpose of these globes? I can switch them on and off but furtheron nothing happens...

Thanks in advance!

Rien

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Globes
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 11:24:54 AM »
Rien,

No bug... just wondering:

What is the purpose of these globes? I can switch them on and off but furtheron nothing happens...

Reverse Geocoding.  If you have GPS coordinates assigned to your photos then those coordinates can be used to figure out the city/province/country information and fill it in for you.  We have a server running a database that can do these lookups and return the information back to PM.  You do have to have an active internet connection for it to work though.

-Kirk

Offline rienvanham

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 11:35:47 PM »
Thank you Kirk! I see that PM uses English addresses. Is it possible to change this in Dutch (like AcdSee does?)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 02:46:23 AM by rienvanham »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 06:19:12 AM »
Thank you Kirk! I see that PM uses English addresses. Is it possible to change this in Dutch (like AcdSee does?)

I actually don't know if the database has different translations of the words/names it provides.  I will check and get back to you.

-Kirk

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
    • GG-IMAGES :: Charlotte Wedding Photographer
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 06:40:45 AM »
I wonder if Camerabits' GPS database is depending on the system's language. I noticed that Lightroom's is.

If I have my system set to German, then the fetched locations will be in German (in Lightroom - haven't tested for PM yet).

BTW, Camerabits' database seems to be granulated way finer than the one Lightroom is getting its locations from.

Offline rienvanham

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 08:35:33 AM »
Hi all,

My systemlanguage is Dutch; so it shows that PM isn't depending on the system's language.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 03:44:09 PM »
So it turns out that localized place names are available.  We will have to add a preference in PM for you to choose your language from a list that the server offers.

-Kirk