Author Topic: Raw file image preview size is wrong on some images. PM 6.0  (Read 2312 times)

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
I've never seen/noticed this before, and I don't know if it is a problem with PM 6. In going through some images I noticed that when previewing at 100% they were much smaller than they should be. When I checked the top bar they are reported as 1616 x 1080 when they are actually 5272 x 3648. PM previews this smaller size which makes me think maybe there is a JPEG preview somewhere that is too small? I opened them in CaptureOne to confirm that they are normal full sized .arw files. I tried to regenerate the previews with View>Refresh and View>Rescan (not sure if either of these is the correct thing to do) but it made no change.

Files are from a Sony RX-100. Images were originally shot with Raw + Jpeg setting, but Jpeg's were thrown out previous to today.

Is there a way to get PM to regenerate previews other than what I tried? Or is there another fix?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Raw file image preview size is wrong on some images. PM 6.0
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 04:47:03 PM »
I've never seen/noticed this before, and I don't know if it is a problem with PM 6. In going through some images I noticed that when previewing at 100% they were much smaller than they should be. When I checked the top bar they are reported as 1616 x 1080 when they are actually 5272 x 3648. PM previews this smaller size which makes me think maybe there is a JPEG preview somewhere that is too small? I opened them in CaptureOne to confirm that they are normal full sized .arw files. I tried to regenerate the previews with View>Refresh and View>Rescan (not sure if either of these is the correct thing to do) but it made no change.

Files are from a Sony RX-100. Images were originally shot with Raw + Jpeg setting, but Jpeg's were thrown out previous to today.

Is there a way to get PM to regenerate previews other than what I tried? Or is there another fix?

Thanks!

The JPEG previews in Sony ARW files are quite small.  Short of enabling RAW rendering in PM and installing the free Adobe DNG Converter (which will make your overall experience much slower), converting to DNG is a solution if you're willing to change file formats.  You can have a full size JPEG preview that way.

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
Re: Raw file image preview size is wrong on some images. PM 6.0
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 06:21:36 PM »
Kurt, thanks for the explanation! I never realized the raw files had such a small jpeg embedded. I guess I'll keep the "worthless" in camera jpeg's from now on, although I did enable raw rendering and while it is indeed much slower to generate the previews, PM seems pretty responsive afterwards-- and unless it is my imagination the images seem to preview sharper and with cleaner colors.