Author Topic: replacing a generic camera profile in a RAW file????  (Read 8181 times)

Offline derrickb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
replacing a generic camera profile in a RAW file????
« on: May 11, 2006, 11:02:23 AM »
hi All,

does anyone know if you can replace the canon "assigned" ADOBE RGB workspace profile in the raw file with your own custom camera profile?  This Adobe RGB profile resides in the exif data.  Im new to this product and would like to know if there is editing capabilities for the exif data fields to replace canons selection of camera profile with my own.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

derrick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: replacing a generic camera profile in a RAW file????
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 11:51:53 AM »
does anyone know if you can replace the canon "assigned" ADOBE RGB workspace profile in the raw file with your own custom camera profile?  This Adobe RGB profile resides in the exif data.  Im new to this product and would like to know if there is editing capabilities for the exif data fields to replace canons selection of camera profile with my own.

In theory it can be done by relocating the TIFF table and appending your profile to the RAW file.  But some software may have problems with the profile being in an unexpected location.  In in any case, Photo Mechanic does not currently have the capability to do what you ask.

Usually one just "tells" their RAW processor what profile that they want to use instead of the assigned profile when doing the RAW conversion.  What RAW converter are you using?

-Kirk

Offline derrickb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: replacing a generic camera profile in a RAW file????
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 11:58:20 AM »
hi kirk,

The easy one is C1Pro.  Id like to enable this capability for use in DPP, Nikon Capture, Lightroom and Aperture.  All look into the exif data for the profile to use.
The raw converters i mention all use whatever is embedded (no matter how bad it may look  : )   )

thanks