Author Topic: Ingest from selection  (Read 9487 times)

Offline DaveG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingest from selection
« on: March 30, 2019, 10:13:07 AM »
Could you in a future update change "Ingest from Selection" workflow to: memory card is inserted in card reader, PM's ingest dialog box come up, the "From Selection" radio button is selected, the Contact sheet is created, the users selects specific images, and then those images are ingested. 

This would replace the non intuitive: "File,  Ingest from Section workflow ..." method. Then ALL images (Disks, Folders, From Selection) are ingested from one dialog box.

Offline Matthew

• View Profile
    • matt-horwood.com
Re: Ingest from selection
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 10:57:24 AM »
Not sure if this helps but when I insert a card a contact sheet with images is created I then select the images I want to import, press Shift Cmd and S and then simply press enter and the images are importing. Couldn't get much quicker.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the advantage of having the dialog box come up before you have selected the images...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 11:02:22 AM »
Could you in a future update change "Ingest from Selection" workflow to: memory card is inserted in card reader, PM's ingest dialog box come up, the "From Selection" radio button is selected, the Contact sheet is created, the users selects specific images, and then those images are ingested. 

You understand that you'd have to close the Ingest dialog first before you could interact with that contact sheet, right?

This would replace the non intuitive: "File,  Ingest from Section workflow ..." method. Then ALL images (Disks, Folders, From Selection) are ingested from one dialog box.

What I'd rather do is add a new preference for what happens when you insert a camera disk: "Ask me what to do"

When that setting is chosen and you insert a disk then a dialog would appear telling you that a camera disk was inserted and ask you what you want to do:

O Ingest the disk
O Open the disk as a Contact Sheet
O Do nothing

If you want to Ingest from Selection, you choose the second choice, a Contact Sheet appears that you can interact with directly, and you make your selections.  One keyboard shortcut away (or a choice from the File menu) and you get the Ingest dialog with "From Selection" selected.  You make sure the settings are the way you want them and start the Ingest.

The way you describe cannot be done without seeing the Ingest dialog twice (and closing it once.)

-Kirk

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 04:11:38 PM »
I'd like to see the option to erase ingested images from the card after a successful ingest from selection - to avoid me ingesting them again when I download the whole card later...

OR..  what would be better, for my workflow at least,  the option to ingest the selected images into a specific folder (which can be defined in the same way ingest normally is, using tags etc), giving them priority, so once they've ingested, you can then select them all and import to Lightroom for editing, while the remaining images - the unselected ones, are imported in the background, into a secondary folder...

So for example (in my case):

1.  Insert card
2.  Contact sheet displayed, I make selection, then choose 'ingest from selection'
3.  "Selected images copied to: {year4}/{year2}{mn0}{day0}-{jobname}/_SELECTS and renamed JS_{jobname}_{Location}_{City}_|{snum}|_{frame4}
4.  Once the selected images are transferred, the transfer of those images is started, and the remained of the images are renamed using the same format, but into another folder: {year4}/{year2}{mn0}{day0}-{jobname}/_ORIGINALS

So I can get to work editing the selected images as soon as they have finished transferring, without having to wait for the import of the rest of the card - which just carries on in the background while I edit..  would save me about 10-20 minutes per job I reckon - which is a HUGE amount of time when you need to get a selection of pics in before everyone else!
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 04:29:08 PM »
I'd like to see the option to erase ingested images from the card after a successful ingest from selection - to avoid me ingesting them again when I download the whole card later...

You should be able to achieve this goal using "Incremental Ingest."
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 05:46:53 PM »

OR..  what would be better, for my workflow at least,  the option to ingest the selected images into a specific folder (which can be defined in the same way ingest normally is, using tags etc), giving them priority, so once they've ingested, you can then select them all and import to Lightroom for editing, while the remaining images - the unselected ones, are imported in the background, into a secondary folder...

So for example (in my case):

1.  Insert card
2.  Contact sheet displayed, I make selection, then choose 'ingest from selection'
3.  "Selected images copied to: {year4}/{year2}{mn0}{day0}-{jobname}/_SELECTS and renamed JS_{jobname}_{Location}_{City}_|{snum}|_{frame4}
4.  Once the selected images are transferred, the transfer of those images is started, and the remained of the images are renamed using the same format, but into another folder: {year4}/{year2}{mn0}{day0}-{jobname}/_ORIGINALS

So I can get to work editing the selected images as soon as they have finished transferring, without having to wait for the import of the rest of the card - which just carries on in the background while I edit..  would save me about 10-20 minutes per job I reckon - which is a HUGE amount of time when you need to get a selection of pics in before everyone else!

The way people have been doing this in the past is to lock those images that they want to ingest first and use the option in Ingest to only ingest locked files.  Then they ingest again (incremental) the non-locked images.

-Kirk

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 04:52:46 AM »

The way people have been doing this in the past is to lock those images that they want to ingest first and use the option in Ingest to only ingest locked files.  Then they ingest again (incremental) the non-locked images.

-Kirk

But that involves viewing the images on the back of the camera and locking them in camera?  That would take too much time and too many button presses (zooming in, scrolling to the area I want to check sharpness/focus etc, locking, then going to next image..  I need to view the images on a big screen to make sure they're sharp, and select about 30-40 images from both cameras..  I can't rely on the camera LCD to make my selections..  the quality isn't good enough to judge properly.
PM is quick (usually, having the slow issue with PM6) to just flick through and hit the T key to tag my selections, then I move them into a _selects folder..  Just thinking it would be an improvement to the ingest from selection to be able to ingest the selected images into one folder, and the rest into another, allowing you to start editing while the 'unselected' images are transferred and the card erased ready for the next shoot.. 

If for example, shooting a festival, there's a limited amount of time to transfer all the images from the card into one folder, make selections, move them to another folder..  and get them ready for uploading to the agency..  seems a no brainer for ingesting a selection straight from a card that the REST of the images should be transferred off the card so you can carry on shooting quickly, without losing the rest of the images that you didn't select... 
Very useful for those that don't have the luxury of keeping the images on the card to go back to later, when you need to clear the card for a shoot immediately...

Just an idea for improvement.. It's similar to the 'secondary' destination folder, but allowing for 'selected' images to go into the primary destination, and the unselected images to be transferred into the secondary folder..  does no one think that's a good timesaving idea?   

With the 'incremental' ingest - would that take into account images that have already been transferred, but to a different folder?
I'm thinking if I were to tag a selection then 'ingest from selection' - the files would be left on the card..  so naturally, incremental ingest would ignore those files if I ingested to the same location..  but if I changed the destination folder, would it import the images that were previously ingested to the different destination, as they don't exist in the new location? 

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 06:22:50 AM »
 Your idea of ingesting tagged images to a different location can already be achieved by setting up a code replacement for the right variable (tagged) and then have the value set to the directory (base/part) to which the respective images should go. I make use of a similar trick my self when processing my "to do" images.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 06:40:05 AM »
But that involves viewing the images on the back of the camera and locking them in camera?  That would take too much time and too many button presses (zooming in, scrolling to the area I want to check sharpness/focus etc, locking, then going to next image..  I need to view the images on a big screen to make sure they're sharp, and select about 30-40 images from both cameras..  I can't rely on the camera LCD to make my selections..  the quality isn't good enough to judge properly.
PM is quick (usually, having the slow issue with PM6) to just flick through and hit the T key to tag my selections, then I move them into a _selects folder..  Just thinking it would be an improvement to the ingest from selection to be able to ingest the selected images into one folder, and the rest into another, allowing you to start editing while the 'unselected' images are transferred and the card erased ready for the next shoot.. 

If for example, shooting a festival, there's a limited amount of time to transfer all the images from the card into one folder, make selections, move them to another folder..  and get them ready for uploading to the agency..  seems a no brainer for ingesting a selection straight from a card that the REST of the images should be transferred off the card so you can carry on shooting quickly, without losing the rest of the images that you didn't select... 
Very useful for those that don't have the luxury of keeping the images on the card to go back to later, when you need to clear the card for a shoot immediately...

Just an idea for improvement.. It's similar to the 'secondary' destination folder, but allowing for 'selected' images to go into the primary destination, and the unselected images to be transferred into the secondary folder..  does no one think that's a good timesaving idea?   

This may be a solution (though I haven't tried it): Kick off the Ingest with Selection for the most important images.  Then select the remaining images and kick off the second operation.  They'll run in parallel.

-Kirk

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 12:38:44 PM »
Your idea of ingesting tagged images to a different location can already be achieved by setting up a code replacement for the right variable (tagged) and then have the value set to the directory (base/part) to which the respective images should go. I make use of a similar trick my self when processing my "to do" images.

That's great tip!  Thanks!  Never thought of that!  Just tested it and it works great to an extent..
The only problem is that ingesting the whole card imports them in file order, not tagged first, then untagged afterward.. 

If I use Kirk's suggestion of ingesting the tagged files first using 'ingest from selection', the files remain on the card, and so I have to manually delete the tagged images later..  Could we at least have an option to delete the files from the card after ingest from selection Kirk?

J.

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 12:44:51 PM »
With the 'incremental' ingest - would that take into account images that have already been transferred, but to a different folder?
I'm thinking if I were to tag a selection then 'ingest from selection' - the files would be left on the card..  so naturally, incremental ingest would ignore those files if I ingested to the same location..  but if I changed the destination folder, would it import the images that were previously ingested to the different destination, as they don't exist in the new location?

Incremental Ingest doesn't care where the files went on the computer, just that they were ingested already. I use this frequently when I don't erase cards between days / assignments. It could be a week later, and thus a different folder destination (since I ingest into dated folders) and it'll skip right over anything that was previously ingested.

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 01:21:38 PM »

Incremental Ingest doesn't care where the files went on the computer, just that they were ingested already. I use this frequently when I don't erase cards between days / assignments. It could be a week later, and thus a different folder destination (since I ingest into dated folders) and it'll skip right over anything that was previously ingested.

It doesn't appear to work that way when ingesting from selection, then ingesting card.

I've just tried ingesting some selected images from a card..  they go into a folder:
{year4}/{year2}{mn0}{day0}-{jobname}/|tag{tag}| - where |tag{tag}| is configured in code replacements to be either _Selects or _Originals, depending on 1 or 0..

Then, with the selected images still residing on the card, I went to do an incremental ingest from disk..

It duplicated the images that had already been ingested into the _Selects folder and appended 01 to the filename.. 
so, there does still need to be an option to delete the images after successful ingest from selection, because incremental ingest doesn't work in this scenario.

J.

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 01:22:53 PM »
This must be something unique to "Ingest from Selection" and I wonder if it is intentional or not.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 01:28:04 PM »
Ingest from Selection works from any Contact Sheet, which could be a folder on a NAS, a folder on your hard drive, or a folder on a camera card.  It does not participate in "Incremental Ingest".

-Kirk

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 02:40:57 PM »
Could we still have a 'delete image after ingest' option though please? :)

J.