Author Topic: PM6 GPS buglets  (Read 2124 times)

Offline jrp

• View Profile
PM6 GPS buglets
« on: March 29, 2019, 04:04:09 PM »
If, on a Mac, I right click on a pick in preview mode, I get a menu that contains "Set GPS Coordinates..." twice.

When I go to one of those for a picture that has GPS from the camera, PM6 doesn't seem to pick up the embedded GPS coordinates and give me the correct map and some text to describe the location.  Instead it seems to think that the pics are taken in Oregon.  ("Show Map" produces the correct location.). And yes, "sync map" & "sync gps" are ticked.

I like a workflow that readily identifies the location from the embedded GPS and places that resulting text into a field of my choice (ideally through a variable).

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM6 GPS buglets
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 05:18:15 PM »
If, on a Mac, I right click on a pick in preview mode, I get a menu that contains "Set GPS Coordinates..." twice.

Thanks.  I'll fix it.

If, on a Mac, I right click on a pick in preview mode, I get a menu that contains "Set GPS Coordinates..." twice.When I go to one of those for a picture that has GPS from the camera, PM6 doesn't seem to pick up the embedded GPS coordinates and give me the correct map and some text to describe the location.  Instead it seems to think that the pics are taken in Oregon.  ("Show Map" produces the correct location.). And yes, "sync map" & "sync gps" are ticked.

That's just a default example.  Perhaps we should just make it blank.  It's been this way for years.

I like a workflow that readily identifies the location from the embedded GPS and places that resulting text into a field of my choice (ideally through a variable).

That's what the Reverse Geocoding feature does.  It's a fairly expensive operation for our server so we aren't going to do it on the fly.

If you've moved the pointer on the map to a place where you know that the photo was taken, the Reverse Geocoding feature will fill in the metadata for you.

-Kirk

Offline jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 04:21:00 AM »
Thanks, Kirk.  But I don't want to have to move the pointer to pick up a location when there is a GPS there already. 

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 09:18:12 AM »
Thanks, Kirk.  But I don't want to have to move the pointer to pick up a location when there is a GPS there already.

If your photos already have GPS Coordinates in them and you want to do Reverse Geocoding, use the Metadata (IPTC) Template and you can do the job in bulk and won't have to view a single map.

-Kirk

Offline jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 11:16:41 AM »
Thanks.  I'll give it a try.  I have now found the Reverse Geotag dialogue under tools, but it is not clear how to use it without looking at the manual, which I will do.