Author Topic: Star ratings not transferring to Lightroom  (Read 3465 times)

Offline SzurszewskiJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Joe Szurszewski Photography
Star ratings not transferring to Lightroom
« on: March 30, 2019, 03:43:33 PM »
I installed PM 6, and immediately ran into a problem with not being able to use the 0-5 keys to apply star ratings to photos (the preference is set up for this to work).  I also cannot use the context menu to apply star ratings.  Interestingly, trying to apply a star rating does create an XMP file for the photo, but the star rating is not applied because it does not appear in the Contact Sheet and filtering by star rating acts as if the photos do not have a star rating.

So I quit PM 6 and went back to PM 5. I can apply star ratings now as before, but when I export to Lightroom, the star ratings do not come across.  I am not applying any metadata presets on import in LR, and my settings in PM are set up as specified for this to work.

Did installing PM 6 install some library that has screwed up exporting star ratings to LR for PM 5?  This used to work perfectly in PM 5 and I have changed nothing in settings or elsewhere.  One possibly salient fact: I did recently upgrade to Mac OS 10.14.4.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Star ratings not transferring to Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 03:55:24 PM »
I installed PM 6, and immediately ran into a problem with not being able to use the 0-5 keys to apply star ratings to photos (the preference is set up for this to work).  I also cannot use the context menu to apply star ratings.  Interestingly, trying to apply a star rating does create an XMP file for the photo, but the star rating is not applied because it does not appear in the Contact Sheet and filtering by star rating acts as if the photos do not have a star rating.

So I quit PM 6 and went back to PM 5. I can apply star ratings now as before, but when I export to Lightroom, the star ratings do not come across.  I am not applying any metadata presets on import in LR, and my settings in PM are set up as specified for this to work.

Did installing PM 6 install some library that has screwed up exporting star ratings to LR for PM 5?  This used to work perfectly in PM 5 and I have changed nothing in settings or elsewhere.  One possibly salient fact: I did recently upgrade to Mac OS 10.14.4.

No, PM does not install libraries that would affect other applications.  PM6 and PM5 on macOS are both completely self-contained within their application packages.

I'd like to see your IPTC/XMP settings in the Preferences dialog of PM6.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline SzurszewskiJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 08:36:17 PM »
OK, here's the screenshot you requested.

If this helps figure out what's going on in PM6, that's great, but if not, I am looking at thousands of photos I need to get through very soon, so is there anyway I can do my work in PM5 and make sure that the star ratings get exported to Lightroom?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 08:53:12 PM »
Since PM5 is no longer working correctly for you, can I see your IPTC/XMP settings from PM5 please?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline SzurszewskiJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 07:13:08 AM »
OK, here's the IPTC prefs from PM5

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 10:37:10 AM »
Your PM5 prefs look fine.  Can you send me an image and XMP sidecar that you've changed the star ratings on that LR won't recognize?

Thanks,

-Kirk