Author Topic: Captions in email body?  (Read 13227 times)

Offline Irish Snapper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Captions in email body?
« on: April 04, 2007, 11:07:44 PM »
Just wondering, I'm coming from iView and when you use it to email images it has a facility for including the text from each images caption/IPTC automatically in the body of the email which I found very useful. Is this available in Photo Mechanic and if so how do I use it.

Thanks...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Captions in email body?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 11:40:16 PM »
Just wondering, I'm coming from iView and when you use it to email images it has a facility for including the text from each images caption/IPTC automatically in the body of the email which I found very useful. Is this available in Photo Mechanic and if so how do I use it.

Just put:

{caption}

in the body text field.  That should do it.

-Kirk

Offline Irish Snapper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 11:51:12 PM »
Thanks for such a fast reply. That sounds good. Have just tried it but it doesn't seem to include more than one caption when I have 2 or more images in an email. Is this still possible.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 11:59:16 PM »
Thanks for such a fast reply. That sounds good. Have just tried it but it doesn't seem to include more than one caption when I have 2 or more images in an email. Is this still possible.

If you send a each photo in an individual email then you'll get a different caption for each email.  Otherwise if you send more than one photo in a single email, then you get the caption of the first photo only.

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 04:34:14 PM »

If you send a each photo in an individual email then you'll get a different caption for each email.  Otherwise if you send more than one photo in a single email, then you get the caption of the first photo only.

-Kirk

Perhaps this could be put on the 4.5.1 wishlist.
Having it on the image as part of a watermark would also be fab....
If you agree with me, please post a me too so Kirk can see if its really useful to a bunch of people or just me daydreaming.
I would use it a lot..

Marc (I'm ready for the full release of 4.5) Bryan-Brown
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 06:21:41 PM »

-Kirk

Perhaps this could be put on the 4.5.1 wishlist.
Having it on the image as part of a watermark would also be fab....

Just put the {caption} variable in the Watermarking dialog text field.

-Kirk

Offline Irish Snapper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 03:41:42 AM »
Yes its a pity that the captions of all the images in an email can't be automatically added to the body of the email if desired as if nothing else its useful to instantly check that the iptc data is definitely there on all the pics and it gives the recipient an immediate overview of what the photos are about.

Perhaps this could be added at some stage?

Mind you no software is perfect, maybe PM comes closest, thats what I am trying to gauge before I take the purchasing step - iView certainly has its fair share of frustrating habits!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 06:59:43 AM »
Yes its a pity that the captions of all the images in an email can't be automatically added to the body of the email if desired as if nothing else its useful to instantly check that the iptc data is definitely there on all the pics and it gives the recipient an immediate overview of what the photos are about.

Perhaps this could be added at some stage?

Sure.  I'm just not sure how it would work.  Wouldn't one want the captions to be interspersed with all of the photos?  That becomes tricky.

Is there a reason you can't send an individual email per photo?  The reason I ask is that if you group too many photos together in a single email then the resulting email can be too large and will be denied by the recipient's email server.

If you're really interested in seeing this implemented then please post this in the feature requests forums.  I do not look for feature requests in this section of the forums.

-Kirk

Offline Irish Snapper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 03:31:38 AM »
My workflow would necessitate me sending maybe 12 pics to a paper and I would send these 3 or 4 to an email as thats the way they that must be obeyed want them. No you wouldn't want the captions interspaced just all at the top so you could check all quickly. Maybe I am the only person on the planet that would find this useful? See pic below for iview method with 3 images in this case.

Offline mervifwdc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Merv Colton Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 07:14:43 AM »
I presume the paper wants the caption in the caption IPTC field as well?

FWIW, The Kildare papers do not get any caption in the email body, just the ones in the IPTC fields, but they do want the file names based on the main player in them e.g. MERV_COLTON_ddmmyy_seqno.jpg and they seem happy with that.

Just wondering why papers want the caption seperate?

Merv.
Warning: Spell Checker disabled. Granma may be erotic.

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 07:20:07 PM »

[/quote]

-Kirk
[/quote]

Wow! Now how do I make it of a legible size?
(Its about 10 words)
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 08:40:14 PM »

[/quote]

Wow! Now how do I make it of a legible size?
(Its about 10 words)[/quote]

Use Pixels and choose a reasonable size.

-Kirk

Offline Irish Snapper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 02:50:18 AM »
Thats interesting Merv,

Yes the iptc fields are definitely the most important, I guess it's just for papers and especially PR Clients that access the email content in a different way just thought the best of both worlds is good as most of my smaller PR clients wouldn't be equipped to read the iptc stuff, or at least easily!

Maybe Armagh footballers will beat Kildare in the next outing - things can only get better!