Author Topic: Check Boxes on folders (and how to empower us with check boxes!)  (Read 4648 times)

Offline timesnaps

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Here is hoping that this might be an easy one to implement into the next build!

I find myself often in situations where I work:

- on a large number of images (thousands)
- from different sources (camera 1/2/3.., assistant, handouts, screenshots etc...)
- using different formats (JPG's, RAW, NEF, PNG, PSD...even mov )

Although I can use PM to organise and make it work, it could be so much faster, using checkboxes (or better still highlighting fields).

Let me explain... Lets say I have the contact sheet open with a mix of all of the above. I now want to see only the JPG images from the Nikon D4 that were taken by shooter 2, which he already rated 1 star, but that he put in three different folders.

In PM I would now have to open each folder in the same contact sheet. I then either have to sort by camera type, or by serial No, I also need to uncheck the 'Combined RAW+JPG' and select one 1 rating. Doing any further selection or work on this edit would likely result in the loss of this selection.

In the days of iView Media Pro this was a very neat and super useful thing:
You can select multiple check boxes by using the Command key, and items in blue would indicate that the selected image(s) are part of the entry with the checkbox! Still using iView because of this, even its much much slower to go through images!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Check Boxes on folders (and how to empower us with check boxes!)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 01:24:56 PM »
Here is hoping that this might be an easy one to implement into the next build!

I find myself often in situations where I work:

- on a large number of images (thousands)
- from different sources (camera 1/2/3.., assistant, handouts, screenshots etc...)
- using different formats (JPG's, RAW, NEF, PNG, PSD...even mov )

Although I can use PM to organise and make it work, it could be so much faster, using checkboxes (or better still highlighting fields).

Let me explain... Lets say I have the contact sheet open with a mix of all of the above. I now want to see only the JPG images from the Nikon D4 that were taken by shooter 2, which he already rated 1 star, but that he put in three different folders.

In PM I would now have to open each folder in the same contact sheet. I then either have to sort by camera type, or by serial No, I also need to uncheck the 'Combined RAW+JPG' and select one 1 rating. Doing any further selection or work on this edit would likely result in the loss of this selection.

In the days of iView Media Pro this was a very neat and super useful thing:
You can select multiple check boxes by using the Command key, and items in blue would indicate that the selected image(s) are part of the entry with the checkbox! Still using iView because of this, even its much much slower to go through images!

You've pretty much described Photo Mechanic Plus and its Catalog feature.  It will arrive in a beta accessible by all PM6 users on April 22nd, 2019.  It doesn't use checkboxes for selection though it could be changed to work that way (it uses simple row selection in each filter stage.)

-Kirk

Offline timesnaps

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 04:59:43 PM »
... It doesn't use checkboxes for selection though it could be changed to work that way (it uses simple row selection in each filter stage.)

Thats good to know. It will either secure PM on the top of its league, (or keep users like me frustrated by the lack of certain features ;-)

Whether Rows or checkboxes is probably irrelevant, as long as the following is taken care of:

1. clear and obvious whats selected (highlight/checkbox/colour...)
2. possible to select different folders/meta/options across the board
3. selected image(s) will show up in the selected options by way of highlight/colour/bold etc...

(Ideally without affected the selection that one i working on)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 05:24:36 PM »
... It doesn't use checkboxes for selection though it could be changed to work that way (it uses simple row selection in each filter stage.)

Thats good to know. It will either secure PM on the top of its league, (or keep users like me frustrated by the lack of certain features ;-)

Photo Mechanic has always been evolving.  You can expect that there will be some features missing that either we didn't think of or would have further delayed the product.  PM 4.0 (the big rewrite) didn't have nearly the features that PM6 has now.  Think of the Catalog feature as being its own 1.0 and you can expect that features will be added and the workflow refined over time.

Whether Rows or checkboxes is probably irrelevant, as long as the following is taken care of:

1. clear and obvious whats selected (highlight/checkbox/colour...)
2. possible to select different folders/meta/options across the board
3. selected image(s) will show up in the selected options by way of highlight/colour/bold etc...

Followed you until #3.  Not sure what that means.  The results are shown, those that don't match your criteria are not shown.

-Kirk

Offline timesnaps

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 05:59:32 PM »
thanks for the speedy response - as fast as PM6!

I meant that selection would be reflected by way of highlighting, etc. In iView Media it was done by way of the text turning blue (circled in orange):

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 08:18:34 PM »
thanks for the speedy response - as fast as PM6!

I meant that selection would be reflected by way of highlighting, etc. In iView Media it was done by way of the text turning blue (circled in orange):

Ah, in our case the whole row becomes highlighted in blue.

-Kirk