Author Topic: Metadata not writing for D810 raw files  (Read 2725 times)

Offline foonji

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Metadata not writing for D810 raw files
« on: April 05, 2019, 12:13:48 AM »
Hi,

Another bug to note, I'm having trouble with d810 raw files and PM6 is not writing metadata to sidecar files for them, in the same folder I have d850 files and they don't have the same problem.

Thanks,
Michael

Offline foonji

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Metadata not writing for D810 raw files
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 12:20:40 AM »
Just read this thread >> http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=11967.0 << and seems to be the same issue, going to try the same uninstall/reinstall.

Offline foonji

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 02:30:54 AM »
Ok...

I uninstalled PM5, PM6, deleted the Camera Bits AppData folder, reinstalled PM6 2818. I didn't have to re-enter my key, so is there additional data elsewhere?

Then i opened the folder with the images, went into an image and it reads no metadata except for a byline tag set by the camera.

Opening the corresponding .xmp file shows that there is in fact metadata, as I applied previously with PM5.

If I then modify the file in PM6, such as changing the colour class, it then wipes the .xmp completely.

Same if I enter data into a blank metadata field where there should be data, it wipes the .xmp clean

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 06:36:45 AM »
Michael,

I uninstalled PM5, PM6, deleted the Camera Bits AppData folder, reinstalled PM6 2818. I didn't have to re-enter my key, so is there additional data elsewhere?

Yes, the license activation file is elsewhere.  No need to delete it.

Then i opened the folder with the images, went into an image and it reads no metadata except for a byline tag set by the camera.

Opening the corresponding .xmp file shows that there is in fact metadata, as I applied previously with PM5.

If I then modify the file in PM6, such as changing the colour class, it then wipes the .xmp completely.

Same if I enter data into a blank metadata field where there should be data, it wipes the .xmp clean

When you say that "it wipes the .xmp clean" do you mean that the file is deleted?  Or that it exists but is zero bytes in size?

Can you zip up one of your D810 NEF files and its XMP sidecar file before you modify it with PM6, and then zip them up again after modification and then provide both zip files to me, please?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline foonji

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 05:59:20 AM »
When you say that "it wipes the .xmp clean" do you mean that the file is deleted?  Or that it exists but is zero bytes in size?

Can you zip up one of your D810 NEF files and its XMP sidecar file before you modify it with PM6, and then zip them up again after modification and then provide both zip files to me, please?

No problems, I'll gather the files and get them to you.

No, it doesn't delete the file, it clears the existing xml structure with a fresh structure without the existing data, so as if it was starting fresh with a file with no .xmp and it just created one for it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 08:42:14 AM »

No problems, I'll gather the files and get them to you.

No, it doesn't delete the file, it clears the existing xml structure with a fresh structure without the existing data, so as if it was starting fresh with a file with no .xmp and it just created one for it.

Thank you.  Having the two sets of files should help us find and fix the problem.

-Kirk

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »
Michael,

It looks like for some reason your RAW file has a more recent modification time than the XMP sidecar even though it contains no metadata other than the little bit of XMP written by the camera.  PM 6 loads XMP from the more recently modified file of RAW or XMP sidecar.

I don't know why this would happen unless you used some other utility to "touch" the modification date of your RAW file.  If you had only used PM then the XMP sidecar should be the most recently modified.

I've made a change to PM to ignore the embedded XMP in the RAW file and use the sidecar XMP if the embedded XMP in RAW is clearly only from the camera and not modified by PM, even if the RAW file has a more recent modification time.

Until we post this update, if you have this same issue with all your files (if the RAW file has a more recent modification date than the sidecar file), one quick fix would be to open Terminal (on Mac), then "cd" to a folder with photos (you can type "cd " then drag folder from Finder into Terminal window).  Then type "touch *.XMP *.xmp" to force all XMP sidecar files to have a more recent modification time.

And I'm curious how your files got into this state?

--dennis
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 02:44:40 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline foonji

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 05:23:06 AM »
Ok that explains a bit Dennis,

The files I sent were dealt with in my normal workflow which I follow all the time. Ingested with PM6 but once I discovered something was a miss I dropped back to PM5 to finish the job. Then later uninstalled both and re-installed PM6 only, but the problem still persisted. Only PM and Photoshop (No changes from myself though to metadata in PS) have touched the files in the process.

However a little more clarity now that I know modification times is what threw it out, I did use PM's adjust capture time to sync the 810 files to the other camera i was using. I can't recall at exactly what stage I made the changes though, before, after.... So it begs me to ask is there a bug in there, or was it just a once off fluke something went wrong? I'll do some more testing with some new files from the d810 in the next day to see if I can replicate it.