Photo Mechanic > General Discussion

PM6: Sort by type?

(1/3) > >>

Eldor:
Am I missing something with Sort by Type in the contact sheets?  It's not working for me... I get .JPG, .BMP, .JPG, .BMP, .JPG, PNG, in groups.  Build 2818.

I have to admit I really didn't try that in earlier versions, but I just tried with the latest PM5 and that too was weird...  I got some JPG, GIF, JPG, PNG, BMP in that order.

Can't seem to get all of a certain file type to appear together.  Nor in alphabetical order by filetype either.

(Got a HUGE folder of files... >30,000 of them.  And I'd always been using sort by filename and by modification time.)

Eldor:
No replies?  Is this working properly for everyone else?  Weird.  But in my directory of >30,000 images, sort by type doesn't work properly.

Windows 7-64bit.  Latest 2818 build.

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: Eldor on April 08, 2019, 08:43:44 AM ---No replies?  Is this working properly for everyone else?  Weird.  But in my directory of >30,000 images, sort by type doesn't work properly.

Windows 7-64bit.  Latest 2818 build.

--- End quote ---

Look in the status bar at the bottom of the window.  Look for a progress bar and some text that is next to it.  Does it say things like "Sort info:" or "Sorting:" ?

Then the contact sheet is still working providing your sorted and filtered display.  But if there is no progress bar or the text says "Sort complete" and the items still aren't sorted then that's a bug.

In order to provide sorted and filtered data for 30,000 files in a single contact sheet, I expect that process to take about five minutes.  In PM5, it would have made you wait all that time before allowing you to work with your images.  In PM6, that work is done in the background and when it completes, the contact sheet does its final sort/filter process and then your images will be in the order you have chosen.

Some users want to only work with their images when the contact sheet is completely accurate.  For those that want that, then we'll have to add back in the wait.

-Kirk

Eldor:
Thanks for your reply, Kirk.

I had not been looking at the small status bar at the bottom right... and the "Sort complete" appears for only a few seconds so if not watching, it's very (too!) easy to miss.  But I'd waited until I couldn't hear the hard drive working any more and I guess I didn't wait long enough.  So the sort is working, sort of!

It appears to be more of a "group by" than a sort.  To me at least, a sort implies alphabetical order (or reverse order) but what is happening is that after the sort by type, I get GIF, followed by JPG and PNG and only after those do the BMP files appear.  So there is a tiny bug in the sorting.  But yes, all file types are grouped together.

I must not have been waiting long enough to verify the sort results.

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: Eldor on April 10, 2019, 08:09:00 AM ---Thanks for your reply, Kirk.

I had not been looking at the small status bar at the bottom right... and the "Sort complete" appears for only a few seconds so if not watching, it's very (too!) easy to miss.  But I'd waited until I couldn't hear the hard drive working any more and I guess I didn't wait long enough.  So the sort is working, sort of!

It appears to be more of a "group by" than a sort.  To me at least, a sort implies alphabetical order (or reverse order) but what is happening is that after the sort by type, I get GIF, followed by JPG and PNG and only after those do the BMP files appear.  So there is a tiny bug in the sorting.  But yes, all file types are grouped together.

I must not have been waiting long enough to verify the sort results.

--- End quote ---

If you're sorting by Type then you're going to get groups of images in each type and among that type they will be alphabetically sorted.

Here are all of the types, sorted:

'ADNG'      // Adobe DNG
'APSD'      // Adobe PSD
'C1DT'      // Canon 1D TIF
'CCR2'      // Canon CR2
'CCR3'      // Canon CR3
'CCRW'      // Canon CRW
'EERF'      // Epson ERF
'EPSF'      // Encapsulated PostScript-TIFF
'FRAF'      // Fuji RAF
'FX3F'      // Sigma/Foveon X3F
'GIFf'      // GIF
'JPEG'
'KDCS'      // Kodak DCS TIFF
'LMOS'      // Leaf MOS
'MooV'      // QuickTime movie
'MPEG'      // Various MPEG movie formats
'MPG4'      // MPEG-4 movie format
'NNEF'      // Nikon NEF
'NNEF'      // Nikon NRW (Coolpix)
'OORF'      // Olympus ORF
'P1IQ'      // PhaseOne IIQ (TIF)
'P1RT'      // PhaseOne TIFF
'PNGf'      // Portable Network Graphics
'PPEF'      // Pentax PEF
'PRAW'      // Panasonic RAW
'PRW2'      // Panasonic RW2
'PRWL'      // Panasonic RWL
'SARW'      // Sony ARW
'SSR2'      // Sony SR2
'SSRF'      // Sony SRF
'SSRW'      // Samsung SRW
'SSTI'      // Sinar STI
'TIFF'
'WAVI'      // Windows movie
'WBMP'      // Windows BMP

Given that list, do you see how they would be grouped?

-Kirk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version