Author Topic: Catastrophe! - installed PM6 R2818 and all templates and snapshots erased  (Read 2251 times)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Hi Kirk,

I have just installed PM6 R2818 on my Win10 PC to upgrade from R2725 and all the templates and snapshots were erased on PM6.

At the same time, the templates and snapshots were erased on PM5.

Hopefully, I can recover the templates and snapshots from my laptop which has PM5 and the first install of PM6 on it. If I can it won't fully resolve the situation because the laptop is used at events, which are mainly abroad, whereas my PC is mainly for work in London that is entirely different.

Please all take this as a warning before you update to PM6 R2818.

Kirk, please let us know if there is any cure to this or if I have done something wrong?

Thanks,
David.

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
NOT SO BAD - installed PM6 R2818 and all templates and snapshots erased
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 07:04:28 AM »
Sorry, Kirk,

It is not quite as bad as I originally thought as I had a PM_Export.pmx file on my system from June 2018 without resorting to the laptop copy.

Could I suggest that before upgrading a copy of the latest PM_Export.pmx file is saved.

Regards,
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
David,

The installer doesn't modify the preferences.  Even when uninstalling, the preferences are left behind.

I don't see how what you have described is possible?

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Thanks, Kirk.

I can't show you the empty snapshots and templates as I have loaded the PM_Export.pmx file from June 2018. That file hasn't got everything but has got me back to work.

I have just saved the pmx file on my laptop so I'll install R2818 on the laptop in the next couple of hours to see if it replicates the problem.

Back to you later.

Rgds,
David

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Kirk,

I have installed version R2818 on my laptop and all the snapshots and templates are still there and I followed the same procedures to do so.

Except, I think after I installed 2818 on my PC I ran DriverDoc which automatically started suggesting that I use it to delete all the leftover bits after the uninstall, which I did.

Unfortunately, I don't have it on my laptop so I can't try it there. Could that be the problem?

Best regards,
David

ps Do you want to delete this thread or remove the Catastrophe! heading as it appears to be entirely my fault.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
David,

I have installed version R2818 on my laptop and all the snapshots and templates are still there and I followed the same procedures to do so.

Except, I think after I installed 2818 on my PC I ran DriverDoc which automatically started suggesting that I use it to delete all the leftover bits after the uninstall, which I did.

Unfortunately, I don't have it on my laptop so I can't try it there. Could that be the problem?

Sure sounds like it.  I'm glad you found the culprit.

ps Do you want to delete this thread or remove the Catastrophe! heading as it appears to be entirely my fault.

No.  I like to preserve history, warts and all, rather than revise it.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
Kirk,

Best regards,
David

DriverDoc is known malware that creates false positives to trick you into thinking you have problems when you don't and then tries to sell you more software to fix the non-existing problem. Be careful of this type of scam. See the link below for more info - Malwarebytes is a legitimate company.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/224461-removal-instructions-for-driverdoc/

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Thanks for the info, William.

I haven't had it that long and it has updated 2 or 3 drivers but will treat it carefully after seeing the link and what happened to my pmx file.

Best regards,
David

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
David, I strongly suggest you remove DriverDoc altogether (or any so-called system optimizer for that matter). The advice you can ever get from this kind of software is usually not helpful at all and in some cases downright dangerous/wrong.

Even on Windows you really don't need this type of tool to “heal” your system!

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl