Photo Mechanic > General Discussion

Emailing photos from PM

(1/4) > >>

davidgordon:
That old trouble has come back... A client demands I send pictures via email. I've been using Photo Mechanic to send with PowerMail and that has worked well. But PowerMail is 32 bit only and isn't going to be updated. So I've tried using Apple's Mail again but it sends attachments 'in-line' and my clients corporate system can't cope with that.

The PM options for emailing are;

Entourage - long since dead?
Eudora - recently died
Mail - doesn't work for me
Mailsmith - no longer under development
PowerMail - will be dead later this year
Outlook - ???

As far as I know these are all Very Old apps with only Mail current. But what about Outlook? Does the current version of Outlook work with PM? I assume the version included with Microsoft 365. Being as its a Microsoft product I'm hoping it will play nicely with my PC using client.

Anyone using PM and Outlook on a Mac to send pictures?

Thanks!

Rguzmanphoto:
Been using Outlook ver 16.16.7 now for several years for the same reason you have with Mac Mail have had no issues.[/img]

davidgordon:
Thanks for that, good to know.

Mick O (Camera Bits):
I was just talking to someone (in person so I don't have anything to paste)   who told me that he found success by configuring his email client as an external editor in Photo Mechanic -- he would select his photos and choose "Edit selected photos with..."  and the email client would open up with the images as proper attachments. (This bypasses the Email photos dialogs completely)

I don't know exactly what client he was using but it seems like this might be something you could try with any external email client.   Might be worth a go?

-Mick

davidgordon:

--- Quote from: MickO on April 16, 2019, 01:37:30 PM ---found success by configuring his email client as an external editor in Photo Mechanic -- he would select his photos and choose "Edit selected photos with..."  and the email client would open up with the images as proper attachments.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Mick, that's interesting. I haven't been able to test this fully but it does - somehow - appear to make Mail.app send a file as a proper attachment. I'll reserve judgment until I can see the results on a Windows PC connected to an Exchange server.

On the other hand, after a bit more testing....

A file sent from PM via "Edit in..." Mail will send a proper attachment.
Adding any text - including a signature - will make the attachment "in-line" even if the email is composed as plain text.

The problem really is Apple.

But if only Camerabits could recode some of those out-of-date mail apps away and add modern ones which we know send proper attachments - Airmail https://airmailapp.com and Postbox https://www.postbox-inc.com are two which appear correct - then life would be wonderful again!

Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version