Author Topic: PM Classic Plus template - use image filenames as page names  (Read 4147 times)

Offline mfryd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM Classic Plus template - use image filenames as page names
« on: April 08, 2019, 12:28:22 PM »
When exporting to a web site using the PM Classic Plus template, the pages for individual images have names like page3.html, page4.html, etc.

It would be great if there was an option to name the pages after the image.  Ideally something like "{filenamebase}.html" or  "page-{filenamebase}.html"

The issue is that clients may bookmark a link to a page.  If I add/remove an image and update the site, this breaks the links (the image that used to be on page24.html may now be on page25.html).   If the pages are named after the images, the links will continue working, even if I add new images to the top of the index page.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM Classic Plus template - use image filenames as page names
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 12:50:18 PM »
When exporting to a web site using the PM Classic Plus template, the pages for individual images have names like page3.html, page4.html, etc.

It would be great if there was an option to name the pages after the image.  Ideally something like "{filenamebase}.html" or  "page-{filenamebase}.html"

The issue is that clients may bookmark a link to a page.  If I add/remove an image and update the site, this breaks the links (the image that used to be on page24.html may now be on page25.html).   If the pages are named after the images, the links will continue working, even if I add new images to the top of the index page.

It could be possible to implement, but it cannot be guaranteed that the URL would exactly match your filenames.  Not all characters used in filenames can be used in URLs.  For instance, URLs cannot have spaces in them--they have to be URL encoded (you'll see this as %20 wherever a space would have been).

-Kirk

Offline mfryd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 12:58:02 PM »
I don't need the URL to exactly match the filename.   What I need is for the preview page URL to be static.  I shoudn't change when additional images are added (or removed).  My thought that using the basefilename of the image would be an easy way to do that.   URL encoding basefilename image name would work beautifully.    I suspect there are many other conventions for creating static URLs, this just struck me as an easy one.

My guess is that you have already solved the URL character restriction issue for naming the thumbnails and preview images.  Whatever base filename is being used for those image files would be fine for the .html pages.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 03:12:04 PM by mfryd »

Offline mfryd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 11:10:18 AM »
Kirk,

Thanks for adding this feature to the latest build.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 11:13:49 AM »
Jerry did the work.  I'll let him know that it's working for you.

-Kirk