Author Topic: Save as...  (Read 2755 times)

Offline JS

• View Profile
Save as...
« on: April 09, 2019, 06:20:26 AM »
Hi,

why "save selected photos as" sometimes doesn't work? I have to close PM 5 and then open again. It happens every now and then. Also with saving a single photo. PM 5 on Macos 12.6

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Save as...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 06:58:14 AM »
Hi,

why "save selected photos as" sometimes doesn't work? I have to close PM 5 and then open again. It happens every now and then. Also with saving a single photo. PM 5 on Macos 12.6

What kind of error are you getting?  I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 02:11:11 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I don't remember the message that showed up. And i can#t repeat it, because meanwhile I closed PM and reopened and it works now as it should. But quite shure it will happen again.Attached is the log.

-John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 04:02:01 PM »
John,

I don't remember the message that showed up. And i can#t repeat it, because meanwhile I closed PM and reopened and it works now as it should. But quite shure it will happen again.Attached is the log.

About what time and what day did the problem occur?

-Kirk

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 02:36:33 AM »
Kirk,

sorry for late reply. I don't remember the exact day. It was last week. As I said it happened quite a few times the last years. But because it could be solved by closing and reopening I didn't contact the forum. Maybe it's related to the Cache?

-John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 09:37:29 AM »
John,

sorry for late reply. I don't remember the exact day. It was last week. As I said it happened quite a few times the last years. But because it could be solved by closing and reopening I didn't contact the forum. Maybe it's related to the Cache?

I imagine that it is related to running out of memory to do the operation.  PM5 is a 32-bit application and has limited access to memory.  Giving the Memory Cache a smaller size can help.

-Kirk

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 03:39:42 AM »
Thanks Kirk. My Memory cache is  set to 1024. Totally my mac has 24 GB Ram. To wich value should I set it and has a lower memory cache some disadvantage for other operations? I mean, it's not so disturbing to close and reopen every now and then.

-John

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 04:54:45 AM »
Try 512MB or even just 256MB with PM5.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 07:32:25 AM »
John,

Thanks Kirk. My Memory cache is  set to 1024. Totally my mac has 24 GB Ram. To wich value should I set it and has a lower memory cache some disadvantage for other operations? I mean, it's not so disturbing to close and reopen every now and then.

For PM5 and the larger size of images produced by today's cameras, I recommend 128MB for the Memory Cache size.

-Kirk

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 01:23:31 AM »
Thanks Kirk,
I will try it.

-John

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 01:27:05 AM »