Author Topic: Crop not showing in Contact Sheet after cropping in Photoshop  (Read 4053 times)

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Another finding with the crop function in PM6. With version 5, If I crop a picture in Photoshop and switch back to PM5, it shows me directly the crop in the contact sheet. PM6 doesn't show the crop in the contact sheet after Photoshop…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t57a8jbquxnofvy/crop.mp4?dl=0

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 2818
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 02:00:52 PM by pjs »

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Crop not showing in Contact Sheet after cropping in Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 01:29:01 PM »
It seems, that the issue from my opening post is still existing in the newest built of PM6!?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 02:05:06 PM »
I wasn't able to reproduce your problem.  Can you send me a sample file (and any XMP sidecar files if present) for an image that reproduces the problem?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 03:25:12 PM »
To be honest, it's a tiny problem and I only ask because PM5 didn't have this problem.

If I crop a cr2 file in Adobe Camera RAW and press "done" and switch back to PM6, the crop doesn't appear in the contact sheet. I have to open and close the preview window, then the crop is correctly shown in the contact sheet. PM5 shows the crop immediately in the contact sheet after I press "done" in Adobe Camera RAW.

I did another short demo clip in PM6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfaz48a33vo3kgc/crop_issue_pm6.mp4?dl=0

And here's a .cr2 file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8chc5tpvxa61nv9/1PS_0008.CR2?dl=0

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 10:51:46 AM »
I wasn't able to reproduce your problem.
Was someone others able to reproduce my problem?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 10:57:42 AM »
I wasn't able to reproduce your problem.
Was someone others able to reproduce my problem?

I managed to reproduce your problem and I have added an entry in our bug tracking database.

-Kirk

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 01:17:41 PM »
I managed to reproduce your problem and I have added an entry in our bug tracking database.
Kirk, perfect, thank you for your effort.

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 05:33:12 AM »
Hi Kirk, I've seen, that in the announcement of PM 6 Plus Beta 3 the bug "Crop not showing in Contact Sheet after cropping in Photoshop ACR plugin" is fixed. I've installed Beta 3, but unfortunately, the crop is still not showing in the Contact Sheet after cropping in ACR…

I'm a macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 user.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 10:10:04 AM »
I am not able to reproduce the problem you were seeing with that blank CR2 using the latest PM Plus beta 3.

Kirk was able to reproduce the problem using a file of his own, not your CR2 file.

The problem we fixed was due to how we handle RAW files where the embedded JPEG preview doesn't represent the whole RAW file.  This typically only happened for some NEF files that had been cropped in Nikon's Capture NX2 or with cropped DNG files.  This created previews that are cropped and therefore we don't show a crop on top of a cropped preview.  However, in PM 6 the calculations changed on how we made this determination and PM was incorrectly thinking that some RAW formats had a cropped preview.  This was totally redone in the latest build and it should not be possible any more for PM to make this incorrect conclusion unless the file is a NEF saved by some other software (e.g. Capture NX2) or a possibly a DNG.

Perhaps you can place a crop again on another CR2 using ACR, then ZIP the image along with the XMP sidecar file (which contains the crop) and post this.

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 01:40:03 PM »
Hi Dennis, thank you for your reply.

If I edit (cmd E) an untouched cr2 file without an existing XMP sidecar file via the Contact Sheet of PM6 (Plus) in Photoshop/ACR and crop it there, then ACR creates an XMP file. Back in the Contact Sheet, the crop is not visible. The crop is visible after a restart of PM6.

But if I tag (via shortcut T) an untouched cr2 file first in PM6 (Plus), PM6 creates an XMP file and if I crop this cr2 afterward in ACR, the crop is directly visible in the Contact Sheet of PM6.

It seems, that PM6 doesn't show a crop immediately in the Contact Sheet if a third-party app like Adobe ACR creates the XMP sidecar file of a RAW photo. I never had this issue with PM5.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 05:54:09 PM »
Sounds like PM 6 isn't checking for the existence of a freshly created sidecar as PM 5 did when swapping back into PM.  Unfortunately a rescan doesn't fix this :(

We'll have to see why this newly created XMP sidecar isn't being picked-up by PM.  Should be an easy fix.

Of course, once you do something else to this photo (e.g. tag, rate, apply IPTC etc) then the crop will appear.

--dennis

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 02:03:53 AM »
Sounds like PM 6 isn't checking for the existence of a freshly created sidecar as PM 5 did when swapping back into PM.
Yes Dennis, exactly! Please apologize for my bad English knowledge.

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 04:26:34 AM »
Hey Dennis,

if I crop and edit a photo in ACR then ACR creates an XMP file and PM6 doesn't show the crop in the Contact Sheet as I reported yesterday. Now If I tag the same photo in the Contact Sheet and edit this tagged photo again in ACR, the crop is gone but bizarrely only the crop is deleted. Color, white balance adjustments, etc. are still there…