Author Topic: IPTC/FTP question  (Read 4501 times)

Offline ulrik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC/FTP question
« on: April 07, 2019, 03:52:53 AM »
Hi.

Thanks for an amazing product. Makes me faster than I actually am.

I have to send to two different photo agencies.

After finishing the first one I send the photos via FTP

The question is when the IPTC is saved to the photo being send. Immediately or when being saved/send one by one?

I now copy all the photos and then send them with data from another Metadata template (automatically, of course).

If it is saved immediately to the photos, I can just send the photos again via FTP and add the new metadata template directly.

Thank you in advance.

Ulrik

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC/FTP question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 08:41:33 AM »
Ulrik,

I have to send to two different photo agencies.

After finishing the first one I send the photos via FTP

The question is when the IPTC is saved to the photo being send. Immediately or when being saved/send one by one?

The images you have selected for upload are copied to a temporary location and the metadata is updated.  Your original images are untouched.

I now copy all the photos and then send them with data from another Metadata template (automatically, of course).

If it is saved immediately to the photos, I can just send the photos again via FTP and add the new metadata template directly.

Yes, that should work fine.

-Kirk

Offline ulrik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 02:03:04 AM »
Kirk,

Thanks for the reply.

It works sometimes. But sometimes the send button is greyed out (not possible to press it) which means I cant do the automatic processing Hayo suggested here http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=12073.0;topicseen

It is not clear when it happens, though.

I thought I found the perfect and very fast workflow.

Any idea what is happening and if there is a way to improve it or something else.

Thank you very much.

Ulrik

Offline ulrik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 02:32:53 AM »
Kirk,

It seems like it is only happening when the Upload window comes up and I can send again when I close that window.

And it is not clear when the Upload window pops up which means it difficult to play a marco.

Is it possible to turn the pop up off?

Thank you again.

Ulrik
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 06:36:51 AM by ulrik »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 09:33:55 AM »
Ulrik,

It seems like it is only happening when the Upload window comes up and I can send again when I close that window.

And it is not clear when the Upload window pops up which means it difficult to play a marco.

Is it possible to turn the pop up off?

If you want to send to the same server, you can avoid the dialog entirely by using the "Modifier" key (Option on macOS, Shift on Windows) when you issue the upload command.  No Upload window will appear at all, and your last settings will be used.

Perhaps that will be a solution?

-Kirk

Offline ulrik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 10:25:59 AM »
Kirk,

Thanks.

It is not the same server. 2 different photo agencies.

Why is the upload window coming out? (we can just double click the upload bar and it comes) And why does it come out what seems to be random? Sometimes it comes, sometimes it doesnt. If it was always coming then I could make a macro recording closing it but when it sometimes comes and sometimes not, the macro seems to have problems.

No way to make it something we can choose in preferences in a future update or, of course, not greying out the send button in the next upload.

Thanks.

Ulrik

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 10:30:03 AM »
Ulrik,

Perhaps we're misunderstanding each other.  What is the "upload window" to you?  The one where you set all of the settings before you start the upload, or the one that shows you what is being sent?

And what is this "upload bar" that you double click on?  Are you talking about an item in the Tasks pane?

-Kirk

Offline ulrik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 10:42:39 AM »
Thank you.

It is me who are not clear.

The upload window is the attached (first attachment). It appears sometimes and sometimes not (I dont understand why it comes or when) after FTP'ing some photos. When it is visible (as in the attached) I can not ftp any new photos (the send button is greyed out and I cant press it. Second attachment).

I hope this is more clear.

So basically, Im looking for a solution to this (either not having the upload window appear or that I can still send with the upload window appearing) as the Macro cant record the whole process when the upload window sometimes appears and some times dont.

I hope that helps or I will try again! I should have attached some screenshot in the start.

Thank you for your time.

Ulrik

Offline ulrik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 07:45:52 AM »
I checked on PM 5 and it is the same problem.

Thanks.