Author Topic: Enable Raw Rendering  (Read 3217 times)

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
Enable Raw Rendering
« on: April 10, 2019, 08:19:08 AM »
If it wasn't new to PM 6 I hadn't noticed the preference option to "enable raw rendering". So I turned it on and told PM where my Adobe DNG Convertor lives. Now my PM6 ingests get my Mac's fans running to full speed. And today I noticed the Adobe DNG Convertor icon in the Dock apparently launching and quitting and launching and quitting and... you get the picture. It looks as if PM is launching the DNG Convertor for every file ingested and then quitting it and then launching it again for the next file. Which doesn't seem right to me.

I never used it in the past (if it was available) so I won't miss it. But is this the way it's meant to work? What am I missing out on if I leave it disabled?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Enable Raw Rendering
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 08:46:34 AM »
If it wasn't new to PM 6 I hadn't noticed the preference option to "enable raw rendering". So I turned it on and told PM where my Adobe DNG Convertor lives. Now my PM6 ingests get my Mac's fans running to full speed. And today I noticed the Adobe DNG Convertor icon in the Dock apparently launching and quitting and launching and quitting and... you get the picture. It looks as if PM is launching the DNG Convertor for every file ingested and then quitting it and then launching it again for the next file. Which doesn't seem right to me.

The Adobe DNG Converter can operate in only one of two modes: process an entire directory worth of images, or process a single image.  Processing an entire directory of images can't work for us, and processing a single image can.  But then the converter quits and we have to launch it again.  You can keep the Adobe DNG Converter in your dock if you don't like to see it coming and going, but it will still launch repeatedly.

I never used it in the past (if it was available) so I won't miss it. But is this the way it's meant to work? What am I missing out on if I leave it disabled?

Yes, that's the best it's going to work unless Adobe allows the DNG Converter to stay running and have images sent to it for conversion on demand.

If your RAW images have nice quality previews in them and you like them the way they are and you don't need to see any Adobe rendered adjustments on them then you won't be missing anything.

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 08:51:16 AM »
Thanks Kirk, I'll just keep it off. I've always been happy with the way PM renders my previews, I'll carry on....

Thanks again.

Offline jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 11:45:53 AM »
The Adobe Renderer seems to eat battery and if you then move the files to Lightroom, the files are rendered there again. So I’m going to switch off the raw rendering.