Author Topic: iptc and ftp features  (Read 13155 times)

Offline denisbalibouse

• View Profile
    • Display of my work
iptc and ftp features
« on: May 08, 2006, 03:09:16 PM »
Hello,

I have found the new forum here after Rob's move.

I take this oppurtinity to request 2 features allready mentionned but I see nothing coming up and it would be very useful to some sport photographers working on the fileds.

I would like some sort of sign or color change on thumbnails when the iptc fields have been filed and when a picture has succeeded an ftp transfert.

Would it be complicated to have some sort of sign somewhere.

I like this product and would like it more with this.

bests

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: iptc and ftp features
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 03:37:41 PM »
I take this oppurtinity to request 2 features allready mentionned but I see nothing coming up and it would be very useful to some sport photographers working on the fileds.

I would like some sort of sign or color change on thumbnails when the iptc fields have been filed and when a picture has succeeded an ftp transfert.

Yes, these have both been requested in the past.  I think the IPTC indicator is a useful one, but what fields need to be filled in in order for PM to show the indicator?

As for the FTP progress indicator, I could add it fairly easily if the status does not need to be maintained permanently, but is that good enough?

Thanks for the feedback,

-Kirk

Offline denisbalibouse

• View Profile
    • Display of my work
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 04:34:24 PM »

Yes, these have both been requested in the past.  I think the IPTC indicator is a useful one, but what fields need to be filled in in order for PM to show the indicator?
As for the FTP progress indicator, I could add it fairly easily if the status does not need to be maintained permanently, but is that good enough?

for IPTC I think in my case the caption field would my "essential". I do not add IPTC at ingest anyway.

and for FTP the status could be gone after closing software.

Reuters (and maybe other software or agencies) has a feature on their PC software which move the sent to another folder. It is also helpful.

thanks

Denis

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
    • PhotoSI Sports photo agency
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 03:29:00 AM »
Reuters (and maybe other software or agencies) has a feature on their PC software which move the sent to another folder. It is also helpful.
Yes this is another cool feature of Reuters software (next to that multiple IPTC copy and paste ;) ). It would be great if PM could also copy sent photos to special folder, but if it's not possible, temporary tag is fine for me too, and permanent tag is not necessary for me. I have photos which I need to send marked already. But it would be nice to know at moment when sending, which one is sent already and which one still need to be send. Quiting PM means I'm done, and after that I don't need to know anymore which one were sent already. If everything is fine all of them are sent :)

Offline mconroy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 07:07:37 AM »
could it keep a ftp log like WS_ftp does, just a text file with the file name, time sent, and location sent.

Mike

Offline gajones

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 08:56:42 AM »

Fotostation implements this quite well in a feature call 'Markers'. It allows you to choose a symbol or coloured frame to display, and the fields that trigger it (either by: Is Empty, Is NOT Empty, Contains, Does NOT Contain)

Offline Ron Scheffler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 05:16:41 PM »
This isn't exactly the desired solution for indicating filled IPTC fields, but I use it and find it to be quite useful:

Under Edit, go to Set Info Text.
Add the {caption} variable, or the variable for whatever field is important to you. You can also remove a bunch of the variables that you may never use, like exposure compensation, etc...
Under View, select the Show Info Tooltips option (on the Mac it's Apple-Shift-T)

Now, whenever the cursor passes over thumbnails in a contact sheet, it will show a bunch of info, including the caption. Initially I found the tooltip feature a bit distracting, but now rely on it a lot since it saves me time not having to preview images just to see shooting info, or having to access the IPTC info to read the caption.

That said, I agree it would be a useful option to have some sort of visual indicator to show which images have been captioned and which have been successfully sent by ftp.

For me the desired field of reference for an indicator would be the caption field. A problem could arise if you apply a generic caption to all images upon ingest... then I suspect the desire will be for the indicator to show the ones that have been given full, detailed captions. How would one implement that?
Ron Scheffler - Photographer

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 05:25:20 PM »
For me the desired field of reference for an indicator would be the caption field. A problem could arise if you apply a generic caption to all images upon ingest... then I suspect the desire will be for the indicator to show the ones that have been given full, detailed captions. How would one implement that?

You could check for specific words appearing/not appearing in the caption, or that the caption is longer/shorter than a specific length.  There could be all kinds of criteria.

-Kirk