Author Topic: Tree Not Updating  (Read 6107 times)

Offline jgraziano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Tree Not Updating
« on: April 11, 2019, 10:35:14 AM »
Geez I thought v6 would be LESS quirky than 5 in file ops, turns out it's more quirky.  Tree sometimes does not update after ingest (I have to refresh), today I did 'save as/create folder in original folder' and the tree WILL NOT show the subfolder.  In Windows Explorer it shows up, I refreshed the main folder, refreshed the drive, nothing.
Also sort of related,  I double clicked on a folder in the tree that was full of files, view set to 'all', nothing displayed.  I had to reselect 'all' to get them to display.
Come on guys, this is BS.  Regretting the upgrade.  I expected better from such a good program.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Tree Not Updating
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 12:24:25 PM »
To update the tree in the navigator you have to click the triangle of the parent directory. This was the same in PM5 and is (likely) done to save having to constantly rescan the folders (which can be costly especially on network drives).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline jgraziano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 12:31:48 PM »
What triangle?  There is only a folder icon, no
  • .  And refreshing the parent folder or the drive did not work.

I have been using v5 for YEARS and it never exhibited this behavior, for me anyway.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 12:42:11 PM »
What triangle?  There is only a folder icon, no
  • .  And refreshing the parent folder or the drive did not work.

I have been using v5 for YEARS and it never exhibited this behavior, for me anyway.

Hayo was describing the macOS version which uses a triangle for expansion of a folder hierarchy.  It is a +/- button on Windows.

Collapsing and re-expanding a parent folder in the Navigator after adding a new subfolder in Windows Explorer shows the new folder for me on PM6.  Refreshing (via right-clicking) the parent folder also showed the new subfolder for me.

Is the folder tree in question on a local drive, network drive, or something else?

-Kirk

Offline jgraziano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 12:58:06 PM »
Local SSD.

I can't collapse the parent folder because there is no + or -.  Just a folder icon.  And doing a refresh on the parent folder or the drive's root folder does not work.
I did get it to show up by collapsing the drive root folder and expanding it, but that's a crappy work-around because it collapses any folders I had expanded.  I routinely work on a number of projects with several folder levels open.  I would have to go back and re-open all of those.  If this is not a bug and they don't plan to change it, I will likely get a refund and go back to v5.  It's file ops were kind of quirky, but not this bad.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 01:59:48 PM »
Local SSD.

I can't collapse the parent folder because there is no + or -.  Just a folder icon.  And doing a refresh on the parent folder or the drive's root folder does not work.
I did get it to show up by collapsing the drive root folder and expanding it, but that's a crappy work-around because it collapses any folders I had expanded.  I routinely work on a number of projects with several folder levels open.  I would have to go back and re-open all of those.  If this is not a bug and they don't plan to change it, I will likely get a refund and go back to v5.  It's file ops were kind of quirky, but not this bad.

Any bug that is reproducible, I'll fix it.

I need help in reproducing the bug.  If you can assist me with screen shots and steps to reproduce, then I'll do what I can to fix the problem.

-Kirk

Offline jgraziano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 02:05:55 PM »
Ok, let me work on that, thanks.
Basically, it is the same thing I have done thousands of times in v5.  Save as, create a new folder under this folder for the new files.  The new folder should show up in the tree.
in v5, the only time I have NOT seen a new folder show up in the tree when the new folder is created was if it was created outside of PM.  Then I would have to refresh.

Offline jgraziano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 02:26:31 PM »
Attached pdf with screenshots at every step.  It definitely did the same thing.  Created the folder but did not update the tree, even with refreshing the folder and root folder (drive).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 02:45:14 PM »
Attached pdf with screenshots at every step.  It definitely did the same thing.  Created the folder but did not update the tree, even with refreshing the folder and root folder (drive).

Thank you.  I will try and reproduce on my end.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 07:27:28 PM »

Sorry about being unclear about the triangle; as Kirk said, I meant the +/- in front of the folder.

I guess with “refresh” (or rescan) you mean the ones in the View menu? These only work on contact sheets, not on the navigator.

Since there was no + in front of your "CATS Lynx" folder (yet), you'll need to collapse and then expand the parent (in this case the root) folder instead. From the screenshots and description you included in the pdf this seems to have worked. So I think everything works as expected, or am I misunderstanding you?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline jgraziano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 12:39:01 PM »
By 'refresh' I mean rt. click the folder name in the tree and click on refresh.

Collapsing and expanding the parent works, but it is completely unacceptable.  It collapses every folder I had expanded, so I have to go back and re-expand them to where they were.  I almost always work on several projects at a time with various levels of expanded folders.  To have to go back and re-expand those just to get one new folder to show up is utterly ridiculous and time wasting.  If that is by design and will not be changed, I will definitely go back to v5, which I have been using for YEARS without that issue and request a refund for v6.  I guess I should have tried the free trial, but I just assumed that v5 is such a good program v6 would be better.
FWIW, I just did created a folder the same way, but one level up and it worked fine.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 12:41:32 PM »
By 'refresh' I mean rt. click the folder name in the tree and click on refresh.

Collapsing and expanding the parent works, but it is completely unacceptable.  It collapses every folder I had expanded, so I have to go back and re-expand them to where they were.  I almost always work on several projects at a time with various levels of expanded folders.  To have to go back and re-expand those just to get one new folder to show up is utterly ridiculous and time wasting.  If that is by design and will not be changed, I will definitely go back to v5, which I have been using for YEARS without that issue and request a refund for v6.  I guess I should have tried the free trial, but I just assumed that v5 is such a good program v6 would be better.
FWIW, I just did created a folder the same way, but one level up and it worked fine.

I was able to reproduce the problem and I will fix the problem.

-Kirk

Offline jgraziano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 12:45:02 PM »
Awesome, thank you!

Offline jgraziano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 05:48:09 PM »
Any progress on this?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 06:46:36 PM »
Any progress on this?

It will be another week to two weeks for the work to be done.

-Kirk