Author Topic: Navigation path in bar ?  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Nessa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Navigation path in bar ?
« on: April 11, 2019, 11:03:03 PM »
Windows 7, PM 6

With the latest release, I really was hoping to see the path to an open folder in a navigation bar, such as is typical atop any Windows window.

In addition, it REALLY would be useful to have the Navigation Panel (on the left) open to the folder that just opened.
For example, I have Photo Mechanic in my "SendTo" folder so when I right-click on an image or folder in Windows, I can choose to open either in Photo Mechanic. But when I do, there is no indication in the Navigation Panel where I am.

Often enough, I rate my photos and move them from one folder to another using the Navigation Panel -- ONCE it is opened to the current photo or folder.

However, as it now stands, I have to click "+" sign after "+" sign to eventually reach the folder in which I am working

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you,
:-)
Vanessa

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Navigation path in bar ?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 12:02:35 AM »
If you hover your mouse over an image in the contact sheet you'll see the path at the bottom of the screen. Since a contact sheet may contain images from multiple folders, there really is not a single path to show.

I can see it would be handy, sometimes, to have the folder of the (image in) the contact sheet be selected in the navigator. But in general I think this would be burdensome, especially if there are multiple folders in a single contact sheet at multiple levels in a folder hierarchy. Perhaps this could be added as a context menu option (just like “Show in Finder” on a Mac)?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 06:29:14 AM »
Vanessa,

Windows 7, PM 6

With the latest release, I really was hoping to see the path to an open folder in a navigation bar, such as is typical atop any Windows window.

I'm not familiar with most Windows programs having a path bar in them.  Windows Explorer does, but no other apps that I have used have a path bar in them.

Hayo outlined pretty well why we don't have one in Photo Mechanic.

In addition, it REALLY would be useful to have the Navigation Panel (on the left) open to the folder that just opened.
For example, I have Photo Mechanic in my "SendTo" folder so when I right-click on an image or folder in Windows, I can choose to open either in Photo Mechanic. But when I do, there is no indication in the Navigation Panel where I am.

Often enough, I rate my photos and move them from one folder to another using the Navigation Panel -- ONCE it is opened to the current photo or folder.

However, as it now stands, I have to click "+" sign after "+" sign to eventually reach the folder in which I am working

In the Launching section of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog, do you have the checkbox labeled "When opening a new Contact Sheet make the Navigator show the path to the folder" checked?

Also, if you right-click on the tab of a Contact Sheet, you'll see a contextual menu that has a sub-menu labeled "Reveal in Navigator" and each folder represented in the Contact Sheet will be listed there.  Choosing one of them should cause the Navigator to expand and show the selected path.

HTH,

-Kirk
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:01:58 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 07:58:14 AM »
In the Launching section of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog, do you have the checkbox labeled "When opening a new Contact Sheet make the Navigator show the path to the folder" checked?

Right, I forgot about that option (I had it enabled anyway). But since the folder in question is not highlighted, it may not be apparent this is the case. Could you perhaps add highlighting? That would make it much clearer (to Vanessa and others) what folder(s) we are working with.

Also, if you right-click on the tab of a Contact Sheet, you'll see a contextual menu that has a sub-menu labeled "Reveal in Navigator" and each folder represented in the Contact Sheet will be listed there.  Choosing one of them should cause the Navigator to expand and show the selected path.

Ah, yes, I forgot about that one too :) Same question re highlighting here though ;)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 08:05:05 AM »

Right, I forgot about that option (I had it enabled anyway). But since the folder in question is not highlighted, it may not be apparent this is the case. Could you perhaps add highlighting? That would make it much clearer (to Vanessa and others) what folder(s) we are working with.

Ah, yes, I forgot about that one too :) Same question re highlighting here though ;)

I'm not so sure that highlighting (and potentially taking away the user's last selected folder) is the right thing to do, at least when the path is expanded due to opening a contact sheet.  The right-click reveal in Navigator is much more direct and I could see highlighting then.

But there's so much on my plate now that I probably won't be able to get to it for quite a while. :(

-Kirk