Author Topic: PM not handling DNGs? DNG Zoom Pixelated vs. RAW Camera File, Issue with PM  (Read 3592 times)

Offline nutshellml

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Update:  I have PM 6, Canon 5D IV and have found the following.  When I open a contact sheet in PM for files that have already been converted to DNGs by Lightroom, when I zoom in on them in PM they are very pixelated.  BUT when I load a contact sheet directly from the SD card in CR2 format, it's fine.  Does PM not support DNGs? Or what is the issue with the preview/zoom when they are DNGs?

I have Win10 64bit and using DNG images
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 07:24:00 AM by nutshellml »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Update:  I have PM 6, Canon 5D IV and have found the following.  When I open a contact sheet in PM for files that have already been converted to DNGs by Lightroom, when I zoom in on them in PM they are very pixelated.  BUT when I load a contact sheet directly from the SD card in CR2 format, it's fine.  Does PM not support DNGs? Or what is the issue with the preview/zoom when they are DNGs?

I have Win10 64bit and using DNG images

If the embedded JPEG preview in the DNG files is of low resolution, then they will appear to be low resolution in PM.  If you want to share one of your DNGs, I can tell you what size the JPEG preview is within it.

-Kirk

Offline nutshellml

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Here's the DNG https://we.tl/t-eb5U071I9d, I guess based on what you said the embedded JPG is low quality.  How can that be changed?  I import to LR and convert to DNG.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Here's the DNG https://we.tl/t-eb5U071I9d, I guess based on what you said the embedded JPG is low quality.  How can that be changed?  I import to LR and convert to DNG.

The preview in that DNG file is 1024x683, which is indeed very small.

I imagine that there has to be some sort of preferences for the size of a preview in the DNGs that Lightroom produces.  I know that the Adobe DNG Converter can be set to produce full resolution previews in the DNGs that it produces.

-Kirk

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
Under File Handling in Lightroom Preferences:

Once set you can update the embedded previews from the Library module: