Author Topic: PM 6 interface blocked on black mode  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Arno

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM 6 interface blocked on black mode
« on: April 20, 2019, 05:36:23 AM »
Hi,

The interface of my PM 6 is in black mode, while the interface of macOS is in light mode.
Dialogs and message boxes are well in light mode as set in PM preferences.
I would prefer to have light mode everywhere and eventually change to black mode when editing late.
So how can I set the interface in light mode? It should be automatic when set in macOS general pref.

Mojave 10.14.4
Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 2818

Thanks,
Arno

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: PM 6 interface blocked on black mode
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 05:47:09 AM »
Hi Arno,

Open the preferences and then go to the accessibility tab and change PM from dark to light mode. It's not an automatic setting (which I like!).

Please note that the light mode currently has some known issues wrt. how things look.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 07:00:01 AM »
The interface of my PM 6 is in black mode, while the interface of macOS is in light mode.
I would prefer to have light mode everywhere and eventually change to black mode when editing late.
So how can I set the interface in light mode? It should be automatic when set in macOS general pref.

The Contact Sheet window and Preview window will always be in Dark mode on macOS.  The setting in the Accessibility section of the Preferences dialog only controls dialogs and panels, not the Contact Sheet and Preview window.

-Kirk

Offline Arno

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 09:27:00 AM »
Hi Arno,

Open the preferences and then go to the accessibility tab and change PM from dark to light mode. It's not an automatic setting (which I like!).

Please note that the light mode currently has some known issues wrt. how things look.

I already set the accessibility panel in light mode, but this only concerns dialogs and message boxes.
The general interface (light or dark) of PM should be the same as the general interface of macOS.

The Contact Sheet window and Preview window will always be in Dark mode on macOS.  The setting in the Accessibility section of the Preferences dialog only controls dialogs and panels, not the Contact Sheet and Preview window.

-Kirk

As I can see on camerabits website (cf attached screenshot), contact sheet and preview windows could be set in light mode.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 09:36:25 AM »
As I can see on camerabits website (cf attached screenshot), contact sheet and preview windows could be set in light mode.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding, it sure looks like dark mode to me in your screenshot.  We don't control the window title bar color or the color of the toolbar in the Preview window, macOS does that.

-Kirk

Offline Arno

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 12:28:12 PM »
The top bar (or tool bar) looks grey on the first screenshot: this is light mode in PM.
On my computer, even if I set light mode in macOS, this bar in PM remains black (new screenshot).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 01:24:04 PM »
The top bar (or tool bar) looks grey on the first screenshot: this is light mode in PM.
On my computer, even if I set light mode in macOS, this bar in PM remains black (new screenshot).

Correct.  This is intentional.  If your macOS offers Dark Mode, then the main UI in PM will be in dark mode.  The main UI will be in dark mode as much as it possibly can be.  Only the dialogs and panels will optionally run in Light Mode.

This is by design.

There is no way to override this behavior.

-Kirk

Offline Arno

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 12:19:29 AM »

Correct.  This is intentional.  If your macOS offers Dark Mode, then the main UI in PM will be in dark mode.  The main UI will be in dark mode as much as it possibly can be.  Only the dialogs and panels will optionally run in Light Mode.

This is by design.

-Kirk

If I understand correctly, PM6 interface in High Sierra is light mode while PM6 interface in Mojave is in dark mode.

No way to switch in the future? I mean to have choice? According to the appearance chosen in Mojave preference.
Thanks Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 12:28:19 AM »

This is by design.

Hi Kirk, I've switched to dark mode for PM for a very long time now (and on my Mojave laptop I also set the OS to dark-mode), so I never noticed this. But wouldn't it be better to either
a) fully honour the OS setting for all application windows/dialogs – despite the setting in PM's preferences –, or better yet,
b) fully honour PM's preference setting for all application windows/dialogs – despite the OS setting –

The approach where some are (always) chosen to be dark despite the fact that the user has set things to light, feels a bit strange.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl