Author Topic: Bugsplat reports sent  (Read 9679 times)

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
Bugsplat reports sent
« on: April 23, 2019, 07:59:58 AM »
This occurred the first time I tried to launch the PM6+ , but I opened successfully several times after that.
Now I get the bugsplat screen each time I try to open the program. Reports sent.
Jim
Postscript later:
I can launch sometimes, but not consistently.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 09:07:08 AM by ostonica »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Bugsplat reports sent
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 09:43:15 AM »
This occurred the first time I tried to launch the PM6+ , but I opened successfully several times after that.
Now I get the bugsplat screen each time I try to open the program. Reports sent.
Jim
Postscript later:
I can launch sometimes, but not consistently.

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder/Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 12:57:22 PM »
Here is the file, Kirk.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 01:32:03 PM »
Thanks.  Well, it is a mystery.

I'd like for you to turn on some additional logging in Photo Mechanic.  In order to turn the logging on, you'll need to create a file named PMDebug.txt and you have to place it among Photo Mechanic's preferences files.  Photo Mechanic's preferences files are stored in the following location:

<your home folder>\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\

Create the PMDebug.txt with your favorite text editor (it must be plain text and not some RTF or Word document.)  It needs to have the following contents:

STARTUP_LOGGING ON

Save the PMDebug.txt file to the above folder.  Then run Photo Mechanic Plus and reproduce the problem.  Next, go to the Help menu and choose the 'Reveal Support Data...' menu item.  Your PM.log file should now be compressed and a Windows Explorer window should come forward and show you the file.  Please add it to your reply to this message.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 03:55:10 PM »
Here is the file, Kirk . It does not contain anything !!
This is from the Photo Mechanic folder. There is also a Photo Mechanic Plus folder and I had put the file there as well just in case, but that was empty also.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 04:24:14 PM »
Here is the file, Kirk . It does not contain anything !!
This is from the Photo Mechanic folder. There is also a Photo Mechanic Plus folder and I had put the file there as well just in case, but that was empty also.

If you go to the Help menu and choose Reveal Support Data, you don't get a window that comes forward showing you the zipped PM log file?  It is that file that I need.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 06:38:33 PM »
Sorry for the misread.
Here it is.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 08:54:48 PM »
Jim,

Do you have an ATI video card on your system?  If so, are its drivers up-to-date?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 01:00:29 PM »
Not an ATI card. AMD Radeon HD 5450 and the drivers are up to date.
I have two monitors. The main monitor is off that card and the secondary monitor for application panels and email etc, is off the integrated graphics on the motherboard.
Jim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 03:42:47 PM »
Jim,

Not an ATI card. AMD Radeon HD 5450 and the drivers are up to date.

AMD bought ATI, so in essence you have an ATI card.  The ATI driver is crashing on startup of Photo Mechanic Plus.

-Kirk

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 08:49:24 PM »
I normally rely on drivers through the windows update  and that reported drivers up to date. But I went to the AMD site and updated the drivers from there.
But I still get the same error on loading. I submitted a new crash report but here is another PM_Log.zip file, just in case it's got new information.
Is there a reason why I would just be having this problem with the PM Plus program and no other programs?

Also I get a report that a new version is available but it's the same as in installed build.
Jim

Offline Stephen_C

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 11:10:52 PM »
Also I get a report that a new version is available but it's the same as in installed build.
Jim

This is a known bug: see http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=12166.0.

Stephen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 11:38:23 PM »
Jim,

I normally rely on drivers through the windows update  and that reported drivers up to date. But I went to the AMD site and updated the drivers from there.
But I still get the same error on loading. I submitted a new crash report but here is another PM_Log.zip file, just in case it's got new information.
Is there a reason why I would just be having this problem with the PM Plus program and no other programs?

Apparently your video drivers are somewhat incompatible with PM's Slide show feature that uses OpenGL.  Since its use is optional, I'll move the initialization of it outside of the startup code.  You'll be able to run, but you may still have problems with the Slide show if you decide to use it.

-Kirk

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 03:22:01 PM »
Thanks, Kirk,
The slide show feature is not a high priority for me.
But JIC, the graphics card is quite old and I could do with a replacement. Are ATI/AMD the only graphics cards that might have an issue here?
What about Nvidia?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 03:29:06 PM »
Jim,

Thanks, Kirk,
The slide show feature is not a high priority for me.
But JIC, the graphics card is quite old and I could do with a replacement. Are ATI/AMD the only graphics cards that might have an issue here?
What about Nvidia?

I think you may be the only one that I've seen with this crash.  I don't know how many other PM users have ATI/AMD video cards.

I have been using Nvidia cards exclusively for years and have had good luck with them.  Their drivers are usually good and they're updated frequently.

I have moved the init of the slideshow out of the startup code so the next build should solve your problem.

-Kirk