Author Topic: "City" again  (Read 14418 times)

Offline JS

• View Profile
"City" again
« on: April 23, 2019, 10:28:41 AM »
Hi, since there has never been an answer to my questions before(and of some others as well): Why PM doesn't write in the "city" field, just in some obscure "Sublocations" field? "Don't overwrite" doesn't work as well. It always overwrites my already filled in "Deutschland" with "Germany". I don't need this. I would have to stay with Houdah Geo for this purpose. So, considering the lost "quick search": No
need for me to upgrade.I send 3 attachements. One before Reverse Geocoding, one after, one with the checked subjects. I didn't want "Sublocation" to be filled, but it is (even with the wrong location).

Regards John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "City" again
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 10:57:14 AM »
John,

Hi, since there has never been an answer to my questions before(and of some others as well): Why PM doesn't write in the "city" field, just in some obscure "Sublocations" field?

I'm sorry that I didn't respond to your question.  I was quite overwhelmed with the questions and issues from PM6's release and I missed some.

What specific coordinate produces this problem?  With that information, I can try and reproduce the problem.

"Don't overwrite" doesn't work as well. It always overwrites my already filled in "Deutschland" with "Germany". I don't need this. I would have to stay with Houdah Geo for this purpose.

We found a bug with that feature and it is addressed in the next build of PM6.

I send 3 attachements. One before Reverse Geocoding, one after, one with the checked subjects. I didn't want "Sublocation" to be filled, but it is (even with the wrong location).

Are you talking about the Location Shown table?  If so, it's an all or nothing field, there is currently no way to choose which columns are applied and which are not.

-Kirk

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 03:43:05 PM »
Kirk, it's not a specific coordinate. But meanwhile I found out how it really works.  It' not very intuitiv, but maybe for me only. You should give some online instruction. Now: After reverse geocoding I opened the template of the one photo and checked the "worldballs" beside the concerned fields, closed it, and reverse geo it again. And everything was there. Maybe I can open the template first, check the "worldballs" and do geo reverse. But it seems to work also for the batch template. Wow, now I know how it works! After a lot of confusion. Great, I can just use the general template, check the "worldballs" and apply the infos to the concerned fields. Don't need Houdah Geo anymore. With some variables in the Caption and Keywords fields PM 6 does it all at once. Great!  It worked well for all Myanmar photos I tried. But it can't find for exampel the "city" for this coordinate: latitude: N52°21.651' longitude: E12°56.990'in Germany. But it finds the "state". And now "Don't overwrite" works. "Deutschland" stays unchanged. So it might not be a bug. And now my trial time is over. I hope I wasn't to confusing. Bottom line: Everything seems to work like it should. Thanks!

-John

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 03:49:44 PM »
One more question:

What is the difference between this 2:

I noticed the "month" doesn't come with a "Zero"

-John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 04:21:14 PM »
One more question:

What is the difference between this 2:

Do you mean what is the difference between the two Customize buttons?  One customizes the layout of the Metadata Info dialog and the other one customizes the layout of the Metadata Template dialog.

Hmm.  Is this a problem?  It still works properly as in you can change the month to a month that you want it to be?

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 04:38:21 PM »
Kirk, it's not a specific coordinate. But meanwhile I found out how it really works.  It' not very intuitiv, but maybe for me only. You should give some online instruction. Now: After reverse geocoding I opened the template of the one photo and checked the "worldballs" beside the concerned fields, closed it, and reverse geo it again. And everything was there. Maybe I can open the template first, check the "worldballs" and do geo reverse. But it seems to work also for the batch template. Wow, now I know how it works! After a lot of confusion. Great, I can just use the general template, check the "worldballs" and apply the infos to the concerned fields. Don't need Houdah Geo anymore. With some variables in the Caption and Keywords fields PM 6 does it all at once. Great!  It worked well for all Myanmar photos I tried. But it can't find for exampel the "city" for this coordinate: latitude: N52°21.651' longitude: E12°56.990'in Germany. But it finds the "state". And now "Don't overwrite" works. "Deutschland" stays unchanged. So it might not be a bug. And now my trial time is over. I hope I wasn't to confusing. Bottom line: Everything seems to work like it should. Thanks!

Strange that PM does not report the city; the Nominatim database seems to have the data for this location, but somehow the city is returned blank in PM.

What is the format of dates in your system preferences?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 05:28:41 PM »
Kirk,

it's not a problem. I just tought it's a bug I discovered.I don't remember if I noticed it in PM5 also.

What is the difference between Metadata Info and Metadata Template?

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 05:31:46 PM »
Hayo,
in system preferences it's the same, without a zero. All the years I didn't notice this. It's not possible to change it, I guess?
-John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 05:38:45 PM »
What is the difference between Metadata Info and Metadata Template?

Metadata Info (formerly known as IPTC Info) is the dialog where you view/edit individual metadata for an image.
Metadata Template (formerly known as IPTC Stationery Pad) is the dialog where you bulk apply metadata to images.

-Kirk

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 05:51:23 PM »
Thanks. In PM5 I use classic Iptc only. There seems to be no difference between the two.

I have another coordinate with no city displayed: latitude: N47°46.021' longitude: E9°09.652'. Looks like it's for Germany only.

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 06:01:50 PM »
Reverse geo writes correct "Baden-Würtemberg", but not "Bayern" instead of "Bavaria"

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 06:16:27 PM »
I was wrong. it still overwrites the "Country"-field:"Deutschland" with "Germany".

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 06:18:55 PM »
I was wrong. it still overwrites the "Country"-field:"Deutschland" with "Germany".

"Don't overwrite" doesn't work as well. It always overwrites my already filled in "Deutschland" with "Germany". I don't need this. I would have to stay with Houdah Geo for this purpose.

We found a bug with that feature and it is addressed in the next build of PM6.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 06:25:07 PM »
in system preferences it's the same, without a zero. All the years I didn't notice this. It's not possible to change it, I guess?

Sure you can change it, if you click the “advanced… ” button in the Language & Region preference panel, you can change the formatting to your liking. Interesting though that you had it without the 0; for me the default German style is with the 0. Guess you changed it somewhere in the past.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 11:08:18 PM »
I have tried it already.There is no way to change it this way. And it all looks right.