Author Topic: PM6 swallowing letters  (Read 22134 times)

Offline olidie

• View Profile
PM6 swallowing letters
« on: April 24, 2019, 03:59:47 AM »
Hi,

when editing keywords or caption in my PM6 trial version I noticed that not all keystrokes are registered. At first I thought that my keyboard might have a problem but PM5 works fine. There are also some users stating the same problem in a german Photo Mechanic group in facebook.

Oliver

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM6 swallowing letters
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 05:31:21 AM »
when editing keywords or caption in my PM6 trial version I noticed that not all keystrokes are registered.

In what part of the UI?

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 07:29:29 AM »
Ok I thought it was just me or my keyboard starting to fail.... but NOW I know that chances are that it isn't a case where two users are both having failing keyboards. It is happening to me when captioning images. Sometimes the very first keystroke will be ignored.

Windows 10

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 08:57:07 AM »
In what part of the UI?

I was just able to reproduce it in the IPTC Info windows and the IPTC Template (formater stationary pad) window. Using a Windows 10 1803 German PC

Oliver

Offline erohne

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Photographer Eivind Rohne
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 08:12:10 AM »
Ah, so it's not just me either then... I've been running PM version 6.0 build 2818 (66ae7fc) on Windows 10 Home 64 bit for a month now, and very often PM doesn't respond to keystrokes. It's very noticable when using the left/right arrow keys and the 1-5 keys to cull/rate images in the preview window. About every 10-15 keystroke isn't registered by PM, so I have to hit the same key again to either get it to rate or move on to the next/previous image. And if you hold down the arrow keys to move quickly through a sequence of images, PM keeps on scrolling even if you let go of the arrow key, and seem to buffer up a lot of keystrokes (it keeps scrolling for many seconds).

Very annoying and it's been driving me mad. I've been thinking it had to do with my keyboard or drivers, but I haven't been able to fix it, so I came here and found this post.

I tried using version 5 again, and all of these things works just fine there. No missing keystrokes, and no buffering of holding down the arrow keys.

Cheers,
Eivind
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 08:28:13 AM by erohne »

Offline photosbyrob

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 10:36:44 AM »
I wanted to join this conversation to say I am having the same experience - I upgraded to V6 (from v5) and when culling through the images noticed that left and right arrows were not registering and then sometimes the 1 (to flag a picture) or 0 (to unflag a picture) were not registering. I am currently back on V5 because I don't have to worry about missing key pictures.

when editing keywords or caption in my PM6 trial version I noticed that not all keystrokes are registered.

In what part of the UI?

-Kirk

Offline rbaskin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 04:26:33 AM »
Add me to the list.  Noticed it a few days and thought it was just me.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 05:49:23 AM »
Add me to the list.  Noticed it a few days and thought it was just me.

In which part of the UI are you experiencing this?  What Windows OS are you running?

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 06:49:47 AM »
Windows 10

I first noticed it when adding color tags and then again when entering captions. So that would be the preview window and the IPTC window.

pablogg

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 10:55:58 AM »
I have a Windows 10 Pro system with a wired keyboard and have not been able to reproduce this on PM6. I've tried with various locale settings, and still seems to acknowledge all my keystrokes.  As previously stated, if it were a hardware issue (ie. wireless keyboard communication), my guess is that you would be seeing this problem on other applications as well (such as PM5). But it sounds like you are only seeing this issue on PM6 only.  Hmm....

Might as well get some environment information to try to narrow down:
1> is anyone seeing this problem on hardwired keyboards (non-wireless)?
2> is anyone seeing this in the English (United States) locale?
3> any other areas in common that could be the cause?
-Pablo

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 11:53:48 AM »
Might as well get some environment information to try to narrow down:
1> is anyone seeing this problem on hardwired keyboards (non-wireless)?
2> is anyone seeing this in the English (United States) locale?
3> any other areas in common that could be the cause?

1> Wired keyboard, german qwertz layout.
3> My feeling is that this phenomenon is occurring after quite a few key strokes not from the beginning.

As I wrote before I noticed it in both IPTC windows. Have not done that much tagging in PM6 since I am still with PM5 for all my production work. Will try some more.

pablogg

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 12:24:55 PM »
Thanks Olidie. I'll keep my PM6 running to observe over multiple days to see if it triggers anything. So far it has been running since last night.

Offline erohne

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 09:12:49 AM »
Just to give you some more info. This happens on two of my machines, my main computer running Windows 10 Home and a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse combo, but it also happens on my Surface Book 2 laptop running Windows 10 Pro.

- I have a Norwegian keyboard layout on both machines
- This doesn't happen in PM version 5
- I've only seen it in the Preview window (but that's where I do 99% of my work in PM so I can't rule out other possibilities)
- Holding down an arrow key in the Preview window buffers up keystrokes, so even if you let go of the arrow key, PM keeps on scrolling through images in the Preview windows for 0.5 - 1 second or so. This didn't happen with PM 5, it stopped as soon as the arrow key was released.

The missing keystrokes happens randomly. I did a test now on both my main computer and my Surface Book2. I started PM, double clicked a folder with raw images in the Navigator, then double clicked one of them to bring it up in the Preview window. Then I started pressing the right arrow key one keystroke at a time while counting. This is the results:

On my main machine: When I got to image number 5 in the Preview window, PM wouldn't register me pressing the right arrow key, so I had to press it again to get to number 6. Then it kept going until I reached image number 54 before I had to press the right arrow key once again to get to the next image, same thing when I got to number 65, then at number 91, and then I stopped.

On my Surface Book 2: When I got to image number 3 in the Preview window, PM wouldn't register me pressing the right arrow key, so I had to press it again to get to number 4. Then it kept going until I reached image number 15 before I had to press the right arrow key once again to get to the next image, same thing when I got to number 23, then at number 46, and then I stopped.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers,
Eivind

pablogg

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 09:27:06 AM »
Much thanks Elvind for the detailed response.

Offline erohne

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 12:03:04 PM »
Just another update: After my previous post, I uninstalled PM v6 and reinstalled v5. I've been running a few thousand images from three jobs through it the last three days, and none of these issues are present in v5.

Cheers,
Eivind