Author Topic: IPTC Field Set Up In PM4.5  (Read 5782 times)

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
IPTC Field Set Up In PM4.5
« on: April 06, 2007, 01:04:32 AM »
I hate to complain, but the new setup dialog is terrible!  >:(  I'm sure there will be folks happy with it, but for my workflow it is not set up as efficiently as it was before.  Because of the placement of the fields we use it will take two to three time longer to enter data now because we'll have to use the vertical scroll to access some fields regularly.  Is there anyway to replace the current pop-up with the one that was in 4.3xxx with the new version?   Is there anyway to hide/unhide IPTC fields or change position within the dialog? 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Field Set Up In PM4.5
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 07:04:22 AM »
I hate to complain, but the new setup dialog is terrible!  >:(  I'm sure there will be folks happy with it, but for my workflow it is not set up as efficiently as it was before.  Because of the placement of the fields we use it will take two to three time longer to enter data now because we'll have to use the vertical scroll to access some fields regularly.  Is there anyway to replace the current pop-up with the one that was in 4.3xxx with the new version?   Is there anyway to hide/unhide IPTC fields or change position within the dialog? 

What pop-up?

Three times longer?  Really?  Did you time yourself with both versions?

You don't have to use the scroll bar or scroll wheel.  If you just press the Tab key after you enter each field, it will automatically scroll.

There is currently no way to customize the dialog.  It will be customizable in the future.  Before you ask when, I do not have an exact date for you.

-Kirk

Offline artminds

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Art Minds Surf & Sport Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 01:14:40 PM »
I'll second Wolvie's comment regarding the new IPTC entry screen. I would like to see the option to select which fields I want to see. Or find a way to fit everything on screen without having to scroll. Or put the seldom-used fields on a secondary tab on that screen. I also use FotoStation Pro, which let's you build custom IPTC entry screens, which is a very nice feature.

I just purchased the upgrade to 4.5, and did so for the Controlled Vocabulary Keyword function. But may go back to 4.3 because of the IPTC screen.

Art Minds

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 01:56:01 PM »
I'll second Wolvie's comment regarding the new IPTC entry screen. I would like to see the option to select which fields I want to see. Or find a way to fit everything on screen without having to scroll. Or put the seldom-used fields on a secondary tab on that screen. I also use FotoStation Pro, which let's you build custom IPTC entry screens, which is a very nice feature.

I just purchased the upgrade to 4.5, and did so for the Controlled Vocabulary Keyword function. But may go back to 4.3 because of the IPTC screen.

Please *EVERYONE* understand that we know many of you are *NOT* happy with the IPTC dialogs.  We are addressing it.  But the more people continue this discussion the more time I have to spend answering the posts instead of working on the solution.

We HEAR you!

-Kirk