Author Topic: rapid flashing / slow cataloging / external drives  (Read 4473 times)

Offline Eric

• View Profile
rapid flashing / slow cataloging / external drives
« on: April 24, 2019, 08:41:01 AM »
To roll everything into one post...

Trying to catalog roughly 300k images from one of our NAS servers (the small one). The initial scan was somewhere along the lines of 6 hours. I don't know what it is doing NOW but the information being displayed indicated that it was going to take two days (or more?) to process the batch. While this is going on in the background PM6+ is unusable because when I try to open a contact sheet I keep getting the flashing/dancing thumbnails. 300k was a VERY small portion of what would ultimately be cataloged. A single event  week can contain over 100k images.

I don't know if there is some way to speed this up or if I am facing losing the ability to use PM for a week or more when I try to catalog some 2 million or more images.  When trying to shut down PM6+ I am getting an error that says something about the program taking too long. Haven't grabbed a screen capture of that.

Finally how will this all work with non-attached drives? If I plug an external drive into the server to catalog it the 'path' is more or less meaningless. Is there some way that PM6+ is identifying the drive?  All our external and bare drives have unique volume names, does PM6+ store the volume name during the cataloging?

Thanks

Eric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: rapid flashing / slow cataloging / external drives
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 09:50:41 AM »
Eric,

To roll everything into one post...

Trying to catalog roughly 300k images from one of our NAS servers (the small one). The initial scan was somewhere along the lines of 6 hours. I don't know what it is doing NOW but the information being displayed indicated that it was going to take two days (or more?) to process the batch. While this is going on in the background PM6+ is unusable because when I try to open a contact sheet I keep getting the flashing/dancing thumbnails. 300k was a VERY small portion of what would ultimately be cataloged. A single event  week can contain over 100k images.

I don't know if there is some way to speed this up or if I am facing losing the ability to use PM for a week or more when I try to catalog some 2 million or more images.  When trying to shut down PM6+ I am getting an error that says something about the program taking too long. Haven't grabbed a screen capture of that.

I'd suggest at this point, stop using the beta.  We've identified the cause of the flashing thumbnails problem and we'll release a new beta soon.

Finally how will this all work with non-attached drives? If I plug an external drive into the server to catalog it the 'path' is more or less meaningless. Is there some way that PM6+ is identifying the drive?  All our external and bare drives have unique volume names, does PM6+ store the volume name during the cataloging?

Proxy images will represent the images that are not locally available.  Drives are identified by a file called .pmshare that contains a unique identifier that Catalog uses to track folders on disks.  As long as that file is not deleted, Catalog should be able to identify a drive when it becomes available again.

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 11:04:17 AM »
Ok but how do I identify what external drive that proxy image is on?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 11:24:10 AM »
Ok but how do I identify what external drive that proxy image is on?

If you are browsing your catalog, simply hover over the thumbnail and the path to the file will show at the status bar. Or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to do?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Langsey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 03:28:45 PM »
When are you planning to release the new beta update?