Author Topic: Star ratings  (Read 7124 times)

Offline vinnie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Vincent MacNamara Photography
Star ratings
« on: April 06, 2007, 01:43:38 AM »
If I apply a star rating to a NEF file, and convert it to a JPG, I can see the star rating for the JPG in PM, but when I import the file into my iView Media catalog it doesn't show the rating. Are the star ratings in the two programs compatible?

Vinnie

Offline vinnie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Star ratings
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 06:53:00 AM »
I've been playing around a bit more...runnning sync annotations in iview will bring up the star rating, but only if I make a change to one of the fields in the IPTC info panel. If I don't then the star ratings don't update. Colour coding doesn't seem to work at all

I'm using XP Pro SP2

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 07:13:18 AM »
Vinnie,

If I apply a star rating to a NEF file, and convert it to a JPG, I can see the star rating for the JPG in PM, but when I import the file into my iView Media catalog it doesn't show the rating. Are the star ratings in the two programs compatible?

The star ratings are Bridge/Lightroom compatible.  If iView Media Pro is compatible with the star ratings in Bridge/Lightroom, then yes the two (PM and iVMP) are compatible.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 07:17:02 AM »
I've been playing around a bit more...runnning sync annotations in iview will bring up the star rating, but only if I make a change to one of the fields in the IPTC info panel. If I don't then the star ratings don't update. Colour coding doesn't seem to work at all

I don't know why they wouldn't pick up on the data without the IPTC data being changed.

Our color labels (Color Classes) are not stored in the IPTC Urgency field.  iVMP re-uses that field for its color labels.  We have made our Color Classes somewhat compatible with Bridge/Lightroom in that if you use the same colors and names in both applications (PM and LR or Bridge) then they will interoperate.

Maybe someone more familiar with iView Media Pro can help you setup yours so it is more compatible with Bridge/Lightroom which would in turn make it more compatible with Photo Mechanic 4.5.

-Kirk

Offline vinnie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 09:45:33 AM »
Thanks Kirk,

I've downloaded a trial of Lightroom to see if the problem replicates there. Once again, only files where I modify the metadata show ratings - though both colour and star ratings work for the modified files. I've tried applying the settings from both the right click and menu options.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 10:02:02 AM »
Vinnie,

I've downloaded a trial of Lightroom to see if the problem replicates there. Once again, only files where I modify the metadata show ratings - though both colour and star ratings work for the modified files. I've tried applying the settings from both the right click and menu options.

Here is what I'd try then: use the IPTC Stationery Pad to update some unused IPTC field (you can leave the field blank and checked which will clear out the field) and apply it to all of your images.  They will now all be updated.

Then maybe everything will sync with iVMP.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline vinnie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 11:24:51 AM »
Thanks Kirk,

That's a good workaround :-) Is my experience with this unusual? Any settings I should be looking at?

Vinnie

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 11:35:25 AM »
Vinnie,

That's a good workaround :-) Is my experience with this unusual? Any settings I should be looking at?

Are these new files, or are they files that you've previously color classed with an earlier version of PM?

I don't know how iVMP works so I can't tell you if your experience is unique.

Could you post screenshots of the IPTC/XMP tab and Files tab of your Preferences dialog?

-Kirk
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 11:40:15 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline vinnie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 11:58:49 AM »
I'm making some progress Kirk,

I changed the "add tag, color class and rating" tab to "always... " and ran the update IPTC/XMP tool. Got all my star ratings :-)

Thanks for your help

Vinnie