Author Topic: Catalogued images not showing in contact sheet  (Read 6724 times)

Offline NaturePix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Peter Llewellyn Photography
Catalogued images not showing in contact sheet
« on: April 24, 2019, 04:28:40 AM »
Hi

I have tried several times to scan images to a catalog with no success. When I try and view the catalog after importing it shows 0 of 0 images. If I control click on the catalog name and open folders and subfolders then the contact sheet shows the generated jpeg proxies.

Macbook Pro mid 2015 2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7
16gb RAM
OS 10.14.4

RAW images on external drive
International Sports, Wildlife and Nature Photography

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Catalogued images not showing in contact sheet
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 05:03:20 AM »
Are all tasks in the task panel marked green, or are there still tasks that are yellow (or red)? Also did you select the catalog(s) for searching?

Under manage catalogs, be sure to enable the catalog(s) you want to search and add/modify (if you expand the triangle of quick search, you can select the catalogs as well).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline NaturePix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 07:42:43 AM »
All tasks are showing green

Catalogs are checked for search and add/modify

If I enter a search term I have realised that results from that search now appear, but is there no way to view all the images in a catalog without first entering a search term?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 07:55:03 AM »
If I enter a search term I have realised that results from that search now appear, but is there no way to view all the images in a catalog without first entering a search term?

I feel you: during the private beta test, I already requested for the ability that selecting any of the filter/browse top categories would get you all images in the catalog. My work around now (but this might not work for you) is to e.g. use the Folder Path category, expand it and then click the (single) subcategory (/Volumes in my case). This gives me all images since all my files share /Volumes as common root.

@Kirk, please add (bring back) the ability to click the top category to select all! It's extremely counter-intuitive this does not work at the moment.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 07:55:23 AM »
All tasks are showing green

Catalogs are checked for search and add/modify

Searching for "" (enter the two double-quotes) will result in matching all files in the set of searchable catalogs.

-Kirk

Offline NaturePix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 08:37:32 AM »
Hi Kirk

Yes that does work by entering "" in the search field but I have to agree with Hayo that it's very counter intuitive to have to enter a search before you can view any images. If, for example you have omitted to enter a specific keyword for some images these will not show up in a search and you have no ability to quickly review the thumbnails without going back to browse the original folder in Photomechanic - if you can remember where those images actually are? Is the ability to browse all images not part of the point of having a catalog that contains all your images? I realize I can do that by entering the "" search term but it's adding an extra unnecessary step.

Thanks

Peter

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 09:20:02 AM »
+1

Using wonky database search workarounds to see all the images in a catalog is a deal breaker for me (Media Pro refugee). I had suspected that the catalog design would rely too heavily on programmatic filtering rather than simple folder selection in the UI, and, unless I'm totally misunderstanding the complaint above, this increases my hesitance about moving to PM Plus. I'm open to radical paradigm changes, but not if they sacrifice usability.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:41:15 AM by syncrasy »
-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 09:53:44 AM »
Problems like these will be addressed in due time.

Thank you for your feedback and time in testing the beta.

-Kirk

Offline OldRadioGuy

• Retired broadcast journalist/educator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 02:07:59 PM »
Hi

I have tried several times to scan images to a catalog with no success.

NaturePix's inquiry about scan images does not seem to have been addressed here yet, only search.

I, too, have encountered the same scan problem. Catalog on my local drive, images on a remote drive.

Catalog -> Manage Catalogs -> Search and Add on Default Catalog selected.

Under Tasks, Catalog Image Preview Copying shown Green and Idle, Catalog Image Preview Generation shown Green and Idle, Catalog Metadata Updates shown Green and Idle, Catalog Metadata Gathering shown Yellow and About 91100 batches remaining (Retrying adding a mass of images simply added to the number of batches.

My system info and PM Log posted here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=12173.0

-------------
Olympus E-M1 Mark III, Olympus PEN-F