Author Topic: User report (long list of bugs)  (Read 9753 times)

Offline Ethan Welty

• View Profile
    • Ethan Welty Photography
User report (long list of bugs)
« on: April 24, 2019, 05:40:42 PM »
Updated:
Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 4826 (4293d5e)
Mac OS X 10.14.6

Search box

- [B1] Does not support many standard keyboard commands:
  - [home] / [fn-left] / [cmd-left] (jump to start)
    - Beta 19: [home] and [fn-left] work.
    - Build 5199: Fixed.
  - [B1a] [cmd-shift-left] / [fn-shift-left] (jump to start, with selection)
    - Beta 19: Persists.
  - [end] / [fn-right] / [cmd-right] (jump to end)
    - Beta 19: [end] and [fn-right] work.
  - [B1b] [cmd-shift-right] / [fn-shift-right] (jump to end, with selection)
  - [B1c] [cmd-a] (select all), [cmd-c] (copy), [cmd-v] (paste), [cmd-x] (cut)
    - Beta 19: "Edit" in menu flashes, but nothing happens. Following keystroke is ignored.
  - [B1d] [cmd-z] (undo), [shift-cmd-z] (redo)
    - Build 5199: Persists (reported as "won't fix" due to framework limitations).
- [B2] Does not respond to keystrokes if I switch to another window or application and back again. I have to click in the box again for it to be active.
  - Beta 20: Fixed.
- Replaces any existing contact sheet with a Search contact sheet (when "Reuse Search Tabs" is checked), even if it is a Navigation contact sheet or Filter contact sheet.
  - Beta 19: Fixed.
- [B3] Opens a new contact sheet (if Search sheet not active) or reloads the current Search sheet, even if a contact sheet with the same query is already opened.
- [B4] "Reuse Search Tabs" only works if a search contact sheet is active.
  - Beta 19: Reported.

Collections

- Clicking on a collection opens a new contact sheet even if it is already open as a contact sheet.
- Contact sheet name ("Search 1", "Search 2", ...) does not match the collection name.
- Right-clicking on a collection opens the collection as a contact sheet, rather than display a menu. Instead, right-clicking below the collections opens a menu for the currently-selected collection.
- "Create collection here" is greyed-out. Only "Create top-level collection" can be selected. Is it not possible to nest collections? That would be a shame.
- [B5] Right-clicking on a collection and clicking "Open in Contact Sheet" opens a new contact sheet even if it is already open as a contact sheet.
- [B6] Double-clicking on a collection (or right-clicking on a collection and clicking "Open Collection and sub-Collections in Contact Sheet") that is already open as a contact sheet does not switch to that contact sheet (nothing happens).
- [B7] Adding images to a sub-collection from its parent increments the image count of the parent, even though they were already counted (e.g. parent: 4, sub: 1, actual images: 3).

Command: "Rename Collection" or "Create top-level collection"
- Collection name cannot be edited by typing without first clicking in the text box, even though the text is highlighted for editing.
- If there are two collections and the first (top) is selected, the collection name changes to the name of the second (bottom) collection. If rename is canceled (by clicking outside the text box), the name returns to the original name.
- [B8] Renaming a collection does not update the name of the contact sheet. Refreshing the sheet results in an empty sheet.
  - Build 5199: Persists.
  - Build 5242: Fixed.

Contact sheet

Command: "Remove from Catalog" / "Remove items from Catalog"
- [B9] Circles on images remain green after they are removed from a catalogue, even after closing and reopening the contact sheet.

Browse tab

- Field values appear in lower case even when all instances use uppercase (e.g. Byline "Ethan Welty" appears as "ethan welty").
- Right-clicking on field value both updates contact sheet and shows menu: ["Open in Contact Sheet"].
  - Beta 19: Fixed (right-clicking now does nothing).
- Right-clicking on category or field name shows menu: ["Open in Contact Sheet"], but there is no contact sheet to open. Perhaps this could instead be: ["Expand all", "Collapse all"] depending on current state.
- Clicking on an already selected field value opens a new contact sheet (if Browse sheet not active) or reloads the current Browse sheet, even if a contact sheet with the same query is already opened.
  - Beta 19: Fixed (still reloads the current Browse sheet, but this may be a feature, not a bug).
- [B10] Clicking on a field value when a Browse contact sheet is open but a non-Browse sheet is active updates the Browse contact sheet but does not switch to that Browse contact sheet.

Filter tab

- When no Filter contact sheet is open, clicking on the current Filter selection does nothing. It should open a new Filter contact sheet with the Filter results. Current workaround: Change the filter, then back again.

Active Catalogs

- [B11] Checkboxes have to be clicked once to focus, again to check or uncheck. This is true whether switching between applications or if the contact sheet previously had focus.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 10:57:34 AM by Ethan Welty »

Offline timesnaps

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: User report (long list of bugs & requests)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 11:01:56 PM »
Specially agree with the yellow highlighted, and more so with the green highlighted!

Given my growing list of bugs and feature requests, I am posting them all here as a reference. If preferred, I can create individual topics for each and link to them from here.

General

Requests

- Control thumbnail and preview size and quality.
- Option to generate thumbnails but no previews.
- Option to generate thumbnails / previews with RAW rendering.

Search box

Bugs

- Does not support many standard keyboard commands:
  - [home] / [cmd-left] (jump to start), [cmd-shift-left] (with selection)
  - [end] / [cmd-right] (jump to end), [cmd-shift-right] (with selection)
  - [cmd-a] (select all)
  - [cmd-c] (copy), [cmd-v] (paste)
- Does not respond to keystrokes if I switch to another window or application and back again, even though cursor is blinking. I have to click in the box again for it to be active.
- Replaces any existing contact sheet with a Search contact sheet (when "Reuse Search Tabs" is checked), even if it is a Navigation contact sheet or Filter contact sheet.
- Opens a new contact sheet (if Search sheet not active) or reloads the current Search sheet, even if a contact sheet with the same query is already opened.

Contact sheet

Requests

- Display search query more prominently and add a way to retrieve it (copyable text, add-to-clipboard button, or send-to-search-box button). The query can be found by right clicking on the contact sheet tab, but clicking on it does nothing.
- Ability to filter by Catalog membership.
- Use same interface in Search/Filter sheets as for original Navigation sheets. Doing so would simply update the query accordingly.
  - Ability to sort.
  - Ability to use standard filter (all, selected, tagged, ...).

Command: "Include items to Catalog"
- Rename to "Add to Catalog"

Command: "Remove items from Catalog"
- Rename to "Remove from Catalog"
- Add a confirmation dialog

Browse tab

Bugs

- Field values appear in lower case even when all instances use uppercase (e.g. Byline "Ethan Welty" appears as "ethan welty").
- Right-clicking on field value both updates contact sheet and shows menu: ["Open in Contact Sheet"].
- Right-clicking on category or field name shows menu: ["Open in Contact Sheet"], but there is no contact sheet to open. Perhaps this could instead be: ["Expand all", "Collapse all"] depending on current state.
- Clicking on an already selected field value opens a new contact sheet (if Search sheet not active) or reloads the current Search sheet, even if a contact sheet with the same query is already opened.

Requests

- Fully expand / collapse all or a category of fields.
- Option to show only fields with values. As it is, I have to click on a lot of little triangles to find out what fields have values.
- Ability to add / remove fields and change their order and categories.
- Make the list easier to parse visually. Currently, the field names and their values have the same appearance, making it hard to distinguish between them.
- Ability to edit image metadata by drag and drop selection onto field value in Browser tab.
Or better still, have a right click option that says: "Apply to Selection" (less moving around with the mouse)

Requests

- Why have a completely separate Filter tab to do AND operations instead of OR? Why not just add a simple switch to the Browse tab: ["AND", "OR"] and focus on making one interface awesome.

YES, Yes, and YES!! The search/filter should really be a standalone pop-out window! specially now that we have the browse options!

Offline Ethan Welty

• View Profile
Re: User report (long list of bugs)
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 09:28:51 AM »
Updated to only contain bugs, which have now been numbered for easier communication.

Offline Ethan Welty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 03:54:41 PM »
Added [B11].

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 05:16:58 PM »
Search box

- [B2] Does not respond to keystrokes if I switch to another window or application and back again. I have to click in the box again for it to be active.
- [B3] Opens a new contact sheet (if Search sheet not active) or reloads the current Search sheet, even if a contact sheet with the same query is already opened.
- [B4] "Reuse Search Tabs" only works if a search contact sheet is active.

Collections

- [B5] Right-clicking on a collection and clicking "Open in Contact Sheet" opens a new contact sheet even if it is already open as a contact sheet.
- [B6] Double-clicking on a collection (or right-clicking on a collection and clicking "Open Collection and sub-Collections in Contact Sheet") that is already open as a contact sheet does not switch to that contact sheet (nothing happens).

Contact sheet

Command: "Remove from Catalog" / "Remove items from Catalog"
- [B9] Circles on images remain green after they are removed from a catalogue, even after closing and reopening the contact sheet.

Browse tab

- [B10] Clicking on a field value when a Browse contact sheet is open but a non-Browse sheet is active updates the Browse contact sheet but does not switch to that Browse contact sheet.

Active Catalogs

- [B11] Checkboxes have to be clicked once to focus, again to check or uncheck. This is true whether switching between applications or if the contact sheet previously had focus.

The above should be fixed in Beta 20: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13460.0
I'm unable to reproduce any of the above items.  If you (or anyone else) can reproduce them with Beta 20, please list the conditions and steps required to reproduce the problem.  My setup and procedures may be different than what you do to reproduce the problems.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 11:23:46 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Ethan Welty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 03:51:17 PM »
Thanks, Kirk! I tested the bugs you said were gone, and confirm that they are gone for me as well.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 04:53:20 PM »
Ethan,

Thanks, Kirk! I tested the bugs you said were gone, and confirm that they are gone for me as well.

Excellent, thanks!

It looks like we only have B7, B8, and the B1 series to worry about.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 11:03:30 AM »
Ethan,

Search box

- [B1] Does not support many standard keyboard commands:
  - [home] / [fn-left] / [cmd-left] (jump to start)
    - Beta 19: [home] and [fn-left] work.
  - [B1a] [cmd-shift-left] / [fn-shift-left] (jump to start, with selection)
  - [end] / [fn-right] / [cmd-right] (jump to end)
    - Beta 19: [end] and [fn-right] work.
  - [B1b] [cmd-shift-right] / [fn-shift-right] (jump to end, with selection)
  - [B1c] [cmd-a] (select all), [cmd-c] (copy), [cmd-v] (paste), [cmd-x] (cut)
    - Beta 19: "Edit" in menu flashes, but nothing happens. Following keystroke is ignored.
  - [B1d] [cmd-z] (undo), [shift-cmd-z] (redo)

Beta 21: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13499.0 should fix most of the keyboard shortcut issues with the Catalog-related text fields.  Undo is not supported and will not be supported.  The underlying framework (GTK) does not support undo.

-Kirk

Offline Ethan Welty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 10:07:09 AM »
Thanks, Kirk. I've updated the list to match my experience on build 5199. The only things that remain are the lack of under/redo shortcuts [B1d] (which you already said cannot be fixed because the framework does not support them), and [B8]: Renaming a collection does not update the name of the contact sheet. I actually found that refreshing the sheet results in an empty sheet (presumably because the collection by the old name no longer exists after the rename).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 10:14:08 AM »
Ethan,

Thanks, Kirk. I've updated the list to match my experience on build 5199. [B8]: Renaming a collection does not update the name of the contact sheet. I actually found that refreshing the sheet results in an empty sheet (presumably because the collection by the old name no longer exists after the rename).

OK, now that's a real bug and not just a cosmetic issue.  I will look into it.

Thanks,

-Kirk