Author Topic: Reveal in Folder Path  (Read 8547 times)

Offline boltoch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Reveal in Folder Path
« on: April 24, 2019, 11:03:01 PM »
Edit Feature Request

When using the Organizer, Right click on an image brings up the option to Reveal in Folder Path as well as the Reveal in Finder.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 01:29:43 AM by boltoch »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Reveal in Folder Path
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 11:39:26 PM »
When using the Organizer, Right click brings up the option to Reveal in Folder Path as well as the Reveal in Finder.

Is this a bug report or a feature request?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline boltoch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 01:26:37 AM »
Hi Kirk

Sorry, feature request.
I’ll amend my original post.

Thanks
Chris

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 07:27:22 AM »
Edit Feature Request

When using the Organizer, Right click on an image brings up the option to Reveal in Folder Path as well as the Reveal in Finder.

What does it mean to "Reveal in Folder Path"?  Do you mean to make that path be shown in the Navigator?

-Kirk

Offline boltoch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 08:02:46 AM »
Hi Kirk

Yes, something similar to that. Apologies if the function already exists and I've missed it.

Attached screenshot (Windows) - I was using a Mac for my original post, hence the 'Reveal', rather than 'Show'.

Group of images displayed under Browse, in this case from keywords. The Right click menu brings up an additional menu option to Show the image in the Folder Path by highlighting its folder - just an easy way of locating the image without going into Explorer or Finder.

Edit Or as you say it could show in Navigator, but someone may want to stay in the Organizer section - perhaps a Right click option on the Folder Path directories to 'Show in Navigator', which will move focus out of the Organizer section.

- Chris
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 08:20:11 AM by boltoch »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 11:09:28 AM »
Sorry, but you've got me completely confused now and the picture is making it more confusing?

-Kirk

Offline boltoch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 02:01:52 AM »
Hi Kirk

Sorry, perhaps if I come at this from a different angle. Apologies if this function already exists.

If I find some images by Organizer>Browse>IPTC>keywords, let's say for example that it returns a search result of 10 images. How do I locate one of those images on disc without leaving PMP and using Windows Explorer (or Finder) with the "Show in Windows Explorer.."? I may want to see the image in the context of the other images in the same folder/directory and work on them within PMP.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 02:21:50 AM »
Hi Chris,

So, what you really want is something like a “Reveal in Contact Sheet” context menu item (similar to Show in Windows Explorer) which shows the folder(s) in which the selected item(s) are shown. This I understand completely and is something I'd very much like to have myself.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline boltoch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 06:05:39 AM »
Hi Hayo

Yes, that's the general idea.

- Chris

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 08:30:52 AM »
So, what you really want is something like a “Reveal in Contact Sheet” context menu item (similar to Show in Windows Explorer) which shows the folder(s) in which the selected item(s) are shown.

There would have to be limits to this feature.  If a selection were large, say greater than 10, then opening a large number of tabs could bring PM to its knees.  Even if all of the folders (considering that each image selected could be in a different folder) were opened in a single tab, that could be many thousands of files in a single contact sheet tab.  And if you did a select all (and the results were large) it could be millions of files in a single tab which would very likely hang PM or cause it to crash.

What limits would be acceptable?  Would this feature open up each unique folder in a separate tab, or into a single tab?

I see the value in this request, but it has to be reasonable in operation.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 10:55:10 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Ideally you'd offer both a) opening all folders in a single contact sheet and b) all in separate contact sheets.

As for the limit. I reckon you normally would choose this “Reveal in Contact Sheet” on a small number of images (but these could of course be in large folders). But why limit at all? If a user requests the contact sheet for many many images, that's what he/she really wants. You don't currently have a limit on “Open folders and subfolders in contact sheet” now either do you, and that too could run into thousands of files?

Anyway, how about a user adjustable warning limit, just like you now have with “Edit Selectected Photos”?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline boltoch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 08:04:21 AM »
Hi Kirk

Originally I was just interested in locating one selected image. But I see the advantages of Hayo’s proposal. Agreed that there would perhaps have to be practical limits.

Thanks

Chris

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 03:24:00 PM »
This is another one that ON1 RAW has. Reveal in folders opens, in the program, the folder where a selected image resides.

Show in Finder/Explorer opens an OS file manager window where the selected image resides.

I do use the "...in folders" feature. I just checked. It's limited to one image at a time. (I guess it has to be in their case since they don't have the ability to open multiple contact sheets/folders.) One image at a time seems fine with me.

Just for the record, since I use and like ON1 RAW and don't want you to get the wrong idea, I don't consider it to be competition to Photo Mechanic. I think the two programs are complementary. Where ON1's functionality overlaps Photo Mechanic's, they don't (and don't claim to) equal or replace Photo Mechanic. That said, they are doing a lot of stuff very cleverly and I feel that some of their features will become pretty widely adopted. (This is where we acknowledge that in this space "standard" or "best practice" generally means "copied from Photo Mechanic". Just what it is.)

Offline Matthew

• View Profile
    • matt-horwood.com
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 01:29:14 PM »
Yes, this is something I'd also like to see: showing the selected image's folder in a contact sheet. I don't think I'd have the need to show multiple images at a time myself.