Author Topic: Eject of card fails after selective ingest  (Read 3967 times)

Offline fotobarone

• View Profile
Eject of card fails after selective ingest
« on: April 26, 2019, 05:31:52 AM »
As subject, every time I perform an ingest from selection, the card cannot be ejected, and an error message pops up, as attached jpg. Even worse, also the finder refuses to eject it because ""Photomechanic is using it", as other jpg attached.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Eject of card fails after selective ingest
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 05:50:26 AM »
As subject, every time I perform an ingest from selection, the card cannot be ejected, and an error message pops up, as attached jpg. Even worse, also the finder refuses to eject it because ""Photomechanic is using it", as other jpg attached.

Is the Ingest from Selection completely finished before you attempt to eject the disk?

-Kirk

Offline fotobarone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 06:07:09 AM »
Yes, complete and all ok

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 06:27:36 AM »
Yes, complete and all ok

If you close the contact sheet tab and then try to eject, does it then succeed?

-Kirk

Offline fotobarone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 06:48:47 AM »
No, only by quitting PM i can do it via finder

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 09:07:12 PM »
No, only by quitting PM i can do it via finder

I'm unable to reproduce this problem on my development system (macOS 10.11.6).  What OS version are you running?

If you just browse the card but do not to an Ingest from Selection, can you eject the disk or does it still fail?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline fotobarone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 05:24:59 AM »
Still fails, even just browsing and then closing all tabs. See attached file for version.
But I have faced a new issue: when you're in the ingest dialog window and choose the primary destination (an existing one or creating a new one) and in the meantime you rename an existing folder within the PM dialog window, the app freezes, like there is a hidden active window which prevents to perform any action.
I hope it's clear.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 08:17:36 AM »
Still fails, even just browsing and then closing all tabs. See attached file for version.
But I have faced a new issue: when you're in the ingest dialog window and choose the primary destination (an existing one or creating a new one) and in the meantime you rename an existing folder within the PM dialog window, the app freezes, like there is a hidden active window which prevents to perform any action.
I hope it's clear.

Before we move to that issue, can you open up a Terminal window and enter the following?

ps -ax | grep "Photo Mechanic"

You'll then see some output like so:

94340 ??         0:15.56 path/to/Photo Mechanic 6.app/Contents/MacOS/Photo Mechanic 6
94458 ttys007    0:00.01 grep Photo Mechanic

Make note of that number at the start of the line that lists the path to your running Photo Mechanic application (for me it is the first line, but it could be any one of the lines that appear in the output.)

Then enter:

lsof -p <number> | grep "PM_lock"

Where you'll replace <number> with the number you noted in the first command.  Copy and paste the text from your terminal window in your reply to this message.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline fotobarone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 11:21:07 AM »
here it is:

Last login: Sat Apr 27 20:15:55 on ttys000
MacBook-Pro-di-Carlo-2:~ cax$ ps -ax | grep "Photo Mechanic"
21537 ??       281:28.64 /Applications/Photo Mechanic 6.app/Contents/MacOS/PM Navigation Agent.app/Contents/MacOS/PM Navigation Agent -chDir -dp:/Users/cax/Dropbox/Real Estate Portfolio/Tests/Casa/RAW/ -pr:Choose a destination directory: -anf
23128 ??        64:41.13 /Applications/Photo Mechanic 6.app/Contents/MacOS/PM Navigation Agent.app/Contents/MacOS/PM Navigation Agent -chDir -dp:/Users/cax/Movies/2019/Basket Masaccio 2019/RAW/Olympia Milano/ -pr:Choose a destination directory: -anf
23546 ttys000    0:00.00 grep Photo Mechanic
MacBook-Pro-di-Carlo-2:~ cax$ lsof -p 23128 | grep "PM_lock"
MacBook-Pro-di-Carlo-2:~ cax$

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 12:51:29 PM »
here it is:

Last login: Sat Apr 27 20:15:55 on ttys000
21537 ??       281:28.64 /Applications/Photo Mechanic 6.app/Contents/MacOS/PM Navigation Agent.app/Contents/MacOS/PM Navigation Agent -chDir -dp:/Users/cax/Dropbox/Real Estate Portfolio/Tests/Casa/RAW/ -pr:Choose a destination directory: -anf
23128 ??        64:41.13 /Applications/Photo Mechanic 6.app/Contents/MacOS/PM Navigation Agent.app/Contents/MacOS/PM Navigation Agent -chDir -dp:/Users/cax/Movies/2019/Basket Masaccio 2019/RAW/Olympia Milano/ -pr:Choose a destination directory: -anf
23546 ttys000    0:00.00 grep Photo Mechanic

That's odd.  Neither one of those are actually Photo Mechanic.  They're the Navigation services app inside the Photo Mechanic application package.  Was Photo Mechanic running, or was it hung as detailed in your earlier message?

-Kirk

Offline fotobarone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 01:50:57 PM »
Hi Kirk, i'boe done the terminal again, right after the same error message, and here it is:
Last login: Sat Apr 27 20:19:41 on ttys000
21537 ??       383:12.93 /Applications/Photo Mechanic 6.app/Contents/MacOS/PM Navigation Agent.app/Contents/MacOS/PM Navigation Agent -chDir -dp:/Users/cax/Dropbox/Real Estate Portfolio/Tests/Casa/RAW/ -pr:Choose a destination directory: -anf
23128 ??       166:25.50 /Applications/Photo Mechanic 6.app/Contents/MacOS/PM Navigation Agent.app/Contents/MacOS/PM Navigation Agent -chDir -dp:/Users/cax/Movies/2019/Basket Masaccio 2019/RAW/Olympia Milano/ -pr:Choose a destination directory: -anf
23739 ??         0:17.66 /Applications/Photo Mechanic 6.app/Contents/MacOS/Photo Mechanic 6
23788 ttys000    0:00.00 grep Photo Mechanic

Please note that when I just insert a card and open the contact sheet I can exec t it, but as soon as I click or select or tag a photo there it comes the "not possible to eject"

Offline fotobarone

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 07:49:16 AM »
Just to let you know that the issue is not solved and that it's really annoying, for every single time I ingest a card I have to quit PM, eject the card, restart PM and so on (when PM is not han ginghams there forever having me forcing the exit or a Mac reboot :-(
Thanks,

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 08:07:41 AM »
Could you try turning off the setting "Run Navigation Services dialogs in a separate process" in the Accessibility section of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog and see if that makes a difference?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline fotobarone

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 08:06:52 AM »
Thanks, I've tried but it didn't solve the problem.