Author Topic: Tasks Pane in Main Window not Showing Anything  (Read 5400 times)

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
Tasks Pane in Main Window not Showing Anything
« on: April 27, 2019, 08:33:26 PM »
I think I found a bug.  Windows 10 version of PM+ 3029.

I'm trying out the new Catalog feature in PM+, I added a folder to the default catalog, it read in all the names and I thought I was tone.  I clicked on "View" then "Tasks" in the main window and the Tasks pane is blank so I thought it was done.  I opened the Organizer (BTW, I had no idea what to do to search for things but happened to see someone mention this in the Forums here so not very intuitive since there is no help or usage guide yet) and tried to search but nothing happened.

I happened to double click on a photo and it opened the preview window which also shows a Tasks pane and this one was actually showing that the catalog was doing things which explains why my search didn't reveal anything.  So the Tasks pane is showing current tasks in the Preview window, but not in the main window.

See screen shots in attachments.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Tasks Pane in Main Window not Showing Anything
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 10:51:08 PM »
I think I found a bug.  Windows 10 version of PM+ 3029.

I'm trying out the new Catalog feature in PM+, I added a folder to the default catalog, it read in all the names and I thought I was tone.  I clicked on "View" then "Tasks" in the main window and the Tasks pane is blank so I thought it was done.  I opened the Organizer (BTW, I had no idea what to do to search for things but happened to see someone mention this in the Forums here so not very intuitive since there is no help or usage guide yet) and tried to search but nothing happened.

I happened to double click on a photo and it opened the preview window which also shows a Tasks pane and this one was actually showing that the catalog was doing things which explains why my search didn't reveal anything.  So the Tasks pane is showing current tasks in the Preview window, but not in the main window.

See screen shots in attachments.

Is this repeatable?  How can we get that to happen?

-Kirk

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 02:58:33 AM »
The catalog process is still running from last night so waiting for it to finish before I try anything else to try again. 

The way this happened for me was opened a fresh install of PM+.  The only two tabs that were open on the left side were "Navigator" and "Favorites".  I went into Navigator and found a folder with lots of photos, then right clicked and added to favorites.  Then went into Favorites tab and picked a folder which opened a contact sheet.  I then right clicked on a folder and selected "Include when scanning to Catalog" which brought up the Scan to Catalog window.  I left the Default Catalog as the one to Add, then pressed Start and the Scan Status box started showing filenames.  This eventually stopped showing new files so I clicked on Close.

I then clicked on "View" then "Organizer".  Being my first time using this, I didn't know how long it would take to complete the calatog process or when you could search so I tried typing in a keyword that I use in tags for the EXIF data.  Nothing happened.  The contact sheet that was open in the previous step, I double clicked on an image and the Preview window opened, which already had a Tasks section included (see screen shot above) which showed me Catalog was working.  I then went back to the main PM+ window and clicked on "View" and then "Tasks" which opened a section below the Organizer area but it is completely blank and not showing anything (see above screen shot).

Once everything is done, I will see if I can try again, but that is the process I took to get there.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 07:44:41 AM »
Thank you, Jeff.

-Kirk

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 11:06:17 AM »
I ended up closing PM+ before the Catalog Metadata Updates finished (it took over a day) and then re-opened it.  Now those tasks are showing up in the tasks pane of the main window.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 11:10:57 AM »
What I find interesting is that you had a task panel in the sidebar of the preview window. I don't have one in my PM (Mac version).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 11:16:49 AM »
What I find interesting is that you had a task panel in the sidebar of the preview window. I don't have one in my PM (Mac version).

It should be there Hayo, you may have hidden the pane.  Look for a horizontal splitter at the bottom of the window.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 11:36:44 AM »
It should be there Hayo, you may have hidden the pane.  Look for a horizontal splitter at the bottom of the window.

Ah, yes, you are right. it was hidden. But for me it's then always the bottom part, independent of the other panel parts, for Jeff it's right below the info part, part of the whole panel. Is that a difference between Mac and Windows?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 01:05:24 PM »
Hayo,

Ah, yes, you are right. it was hidden. But for me it's then always the bottom part, independent of the other panel parts, for Jeff it's right below the info part, part of the whole panel. Is that a difference between Mac and Windows?

Yes.

-Kirk