Author Topic: Unable to send to new catalog  (Read 4222 times)

Offline OldRadioGuy

• Retired broadcast journalist/educator
    • View Profile
Unable to send to new catalog
« on: April 27, 2019, 08:34:05 PM »
I've been pushing the limit on catalog size, finding things begin to slow down after about 30,000 images. So, I created a new catalog, but have been unable to send images to the new catalog. Is this a bug or simply a hidden feature?

Bob
-------------
Olympus E-M1 Mark III, Olympus PEN-F

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Unable to send to new catalog
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 10:52:23 PM »
I've been pushing the limit on catalog size, finding things begin to slow down after about 30,000 images. So, I created a new catalog, but have been unable to send images to the new catalog. Is this a bug or simply a hidden feature?

It shouldn't be slowing down with only that few images.

I'm not sure what you mean by "simply a hidden feature?"

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 01:19:09 AM »
Bob, have you enabled the new catalog for Add/Modify (and Search) under Catalog|Manage Catalogs?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline OldRadioGuy

• Retired broadcast journalist/educator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 07:19:24 AM »
Bob, have you enabled the new catalog for Add/Modify (and Search) under Catalog|Manage Catalogs?

Hayo, I did not have the two add/modify and search boxes checked. I did that, and the second catalog appeared with the default when I clicked on the catalog tab in the left panel. There it appears I have to check/uncheck the appropriate Search & Add/Modify boxes to designate the appropriate catalog to use.

I test this.

Bob
-------------
Olympus E-M1 Mark III, Olympus PEN-F

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 08:12:12 AM »
Hi Bob, yes, you have to select the catalog into which you search and/or add files. You'll get used to that quickly :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 01:06:38 PM »

Bob

Not sure what you mean by "things begin to slow down after about 30k images". Are you saying the import process slows down or the program's performance slows down? For whatever its worth I finally imported about 52k images into my catalog which was a very slow process (took me all day) but after that was completed, PM runs rocket fast, way faster than any other DAM software I have used. Thumbnails pop up and scroll instantly, previews pop up and scroll instantly, even big searches pop up instantly. I just clicked on Filter/Label/None and all 52,059 images in my catalog popped up in one second (I don't have labels on any of my images so that search returns every image). Amazing! So if your program is slowing down, something is not right and certainly can be fixed.