Author Topic: Advanced search?  (Read 4902 times)

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
Advanced search?
« on: April 28, 2019, 02:32:18 PM »
Has the advanced search dialog - the place where I would do something like "[caption has] (jimmy OR john) AND [keywords do not have] headshots" - not been written yet, or have I been a dunce and just not found it?

... and how does one view the entire contents of a catalog?

... speaking of catalogs, I love the idea of turning catalogs on and off for search with a tickbox and being able to search multiple catalogs! For a photographer, in a desktop environment, that is huge. And something your competition doesn't have.

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
Re: Advanced search?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 02:48:27 PM »
Hmmm. I see that I can use booleans - at least simple ones like  AND, OR, and NOT right in the simple search box. Wooo hooo!  Just like in big time DAMs!

I don't have a broad enough test catalog, or enough available brain cycles on a Sunday afternoon, to see if I can do a nested search statement or a fielded search right in there. But we're clearly on a good course here.

And a space defaults to an AND, just like it should.

I'll explore further in a few days. Being able to do any search right from the simple search box would be a wonderful thing for frequent users who can keep the syntax fresh in mind. But those of us who suffer from CRS will still need a little GUI help :-)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 03:41:46 PM »
Hmmm. I see that I can use booleans - at least simple ones like  AND, OR, and NOT right in the simple search box. Wooo hooo!  Just like in big time DAMs!

I don't have a broad enough test catalog, or enough available brain cycles on a Sunday afternoon, to see if I can do a nested search statement or a fielded search right in there. But we're clearly on a good course here.

Yes, it has a fairly advanced syntax but also allows the simple "Google" search to work as well.  Click on the button to the right of the search field (has a little gear icon on it) and a window will pop up showing you many examples.

I'll explore further in a few days. Being able to do any search right from the simple search box would be a wonderful thing for frequent users who can keep the syntax fresh in mind. But those of us who suffer from CRS will still need a little GUI help :-)

Or you can use Filters.

As for doing a search that matches everything, "" works well. (literally enter two double quotes with nothing between them.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 04:13:14 PM »
Yessss!

You are my hero.

This is a for-real thing!

Terms in parenthesis. Check. I could even do the "find a picture of a photographer in a catalog that contains their own work" example. ("photographer NOT byline HAS photographer")

Happy dance.

Offline esambo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 05:33:13 PM »
I have not been able to figure out how to search for a non empty field. None of the following work:
  • caption <> ""
  • caption = Nothing
  • caption IS NULL

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 06:27:57 PM »
Sorry for bringing back a dead thread...

Can the fields Search searches be customized?  I found the Searchable Fields window, and all the fields checked that it searches.  I'm surprised that Object Name (Title, right?) is *not* checked. 

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 07:29:07 PM »
I have not been able to figure out how to search for a non empty field.

In recent builds one may write:
  • caption is empty
  • caption is not empty

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 07:39:26 PM »
Can the fields Search searches be customized?  I found the Searchable Fields window, and all the fields checked that it searches.  I'm surprised that Object Name (Title, right?) is *not* checked.

You're indeed correct: it is intended (but not yet implemented) that these default selections be customizable.

Note, however, that these checks represent the default fields searched, when no column(s) are otherwise specified explicitly.

But every field displayed – checked or not – may be searched, if specified explicitly (overriding the defaults.)

E.g. objectname "sequoia forest"

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 12:23:11 PM »
Ok excellent!  Once I figured out what was going, I was able to find what I was searching for, but it took me a bit to figure out certain fields weren't being searched.

The search help/examples window is great but is hard to find.  I'd consider eventually putting it and a few other similar guides in the Help menu