Author Topic: Can't assign star ratings in preview window  (Read 3797 times)

Offline davidrobertnewman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can't assign star ratings in preview window
« on: April 28, 2019, 06:26:47 PM »
Photo Mechanic version 6, build 3023 on MacOS 10.14.4

Just upgraded to this version, and I'm seeing an issue where star ratings assigned in the preview window don't take if at least one photo has been cropped. Star value assignments in the regular folder view do work.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open a folder

2. Open a preview window. Use numbers 1-5 to assign star values to images

3. Crop at least one image (not sure if this is related, but it's something I did)

4. Continue to assign star ratings.

5. Close preview window with Command-W. Star ratings assigned after an image has been cropped will not change.

At first I thought this was intermittent, as I did assign 1- and 2-star values in preview mode.

I've closed and reopened PM several times, and I can repeatedly get the star ratings not to work after cropping an image.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't assign star ratings in preview window
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 06:46:59 PM »
Photo Mechanic version 6, build 3023 on MacOS 10.14.4

Just upgraded to this version, and I'm seeing an issue where star ratings assigned in the preview window don't take if at least one photo has been cropped. Star value assignments in the regular folder view do work.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open a folder

2. Open a preview window. Use numbers 1-5 to assign star values to images

3. Crop at least one image (not sure if this is related, but it's something I did)

4. Continue to assign star ratings.

5. Close preview window with Command-W. Star ratings assigned after an image has been cropped will not change.

At first I thought this was intermittent, as I did assign 1- and 2-star values in preview mode.

I've closed and reopened PM several times, and I can repeatedly get the star ratings not to work after cropping an image.

What type of files are you working with?  JPEGs?  RAW?  If RAW, what type of RAW file?

Thanks,

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 07:45:11 PM »
Working with Sony raw files (.ARW).

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 09:05:13 PM »
David,

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Are you using XMP sidecars or are you embedding XMP?

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 10:39:18 PM »
Not sure. Some of the files have sidecars but not others. I haven't configured anything to use sidecars AFAIK.

My workflow is to copy ARW files off an SD card, then open Photo Mechanic and work on them. It could be that Photo Mechanic creates the sidecars while working on them, or when ingesting them (in this case into Capture One), but I'm not sure. Again, I'm not doing anything to enable sidecar use.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 10:58:40 PM »
Can you post a screenshot of your Metadata (IPTC) preferences?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 12:34:09 AM »
As requested. I haven't used this screen before.

Thanks.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 10:16:36 AM »

Also, if it's relevant, the images came from an A7RIII running v. 3.00 firmware and an A9 running v. 5.00 firmware.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 12:29:29 PM »
David,

I received your sample images and we cannot reproduce this problem (on different macOS including Mojave).  It may be that your PM preferences are somehow corrupted.  This can happen sometimes if you force-quit PM.

Bob is going to post here with some instructions on how to do this such that you don't loose any important settings you may have.

--dennis

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 12:51:19 PM »
Hi David,

I am not able to recreate the rating problem you are describing on my Mojave Macs. I think resetting Photo Mechanic's preferences could fix this problem. With Photo Mechanic running, go to the Photo Mechanic menu and then click the Preferences option. Now click the Export button at the bottom left of any page. A list of selected items will open next. Click the Export button at the bottom to save the PM_Export.PMX  file to your Desktop or Documents folder.  Now quit Photo Mechanic.

With the Finder running, open the Library folder from the Go menu or use the Command-Shift-L shortcut. Next open the Preferences folder and locate the com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder. Renaming this folder will cause Photo Mechanic to create a new one the next time it starts. Just append the date to it. Eg, com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic-4-2019.  Close the Finder window.

Start Photo Mechanic and try the same the same rating, cropping and then re-rating workflow. If everything is working correctly, then go back to the Preferences to Import your old settings. Click the Import button left at the bottom of any page. Locate the PM_Export.PMX file you saved on the Desktop and then double click the icon.  The same list of selected items should open next.  Deselect the Preferences:Caching entry towards the top of the list by Command-clicking its entry.  Click the import button at the bottom to continue.  A message dialog will open next asking if you want to merge the file's settings with the current settings.  Click the Yes button to complete the Import. Photo Mechanic will need to restart.  Test your same workflow to ensure the problem did not get restored by Importing the preference settings.

--Bob
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:33:19 PM by Bob Russell »