Author Topic: Scan to Catalog is slow with many photos...  (Read 5174 times)

Offline Einberger

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Scan to Catalog is slow with many photos...
« on: April 28, 2019, 11:38:52 PM »
Hi Team,
thanks a lot for developing the Catalog feature in PhotoMechanic. We are waiting for it since a long time, and so far, it seems to be really great.
After some quick trials I was happy and tried to import about 200 K  photos (located on a Nas-Server) into a catalog. After 48 hours I quit the process because it was getting slower and slower. I then tried with the new built (3029) to do the same with about 200K photos on a local HD. Same situation, after 48 hours i quit the process. Is there any maximum of photos to scan to a cataloge?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Scan to Catalog is slow with many photos...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 11:44:08 PM »
Hi Team,
thanks a lot for developing the Catalog feature in PhotoMechanic. We are waiting for it since a long time, and so far, it seems to be really great.
After some quick trials I was happy and tried to import about 200 K  photos (located on a Nas-Server) into a catalog. After 48 hours I quit the process because it was getting slower and slower. I then tried with the new built (3029) to do the same with about 200K photos on a local HD. Same situation, after 48 hours i quit the process. Is there any maximum of photos to scan to a cataloge?

No.  We tested with one million photos during development.  We haven't tested that in a while though so it may be slower now.  Turning off proxy generation can help quite a bit.  If all of your images are locally available and are not on a drive that you're going to unplug and put away in storage then you can turn off proxy generation and gain some speed.

-Kirk

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 05:36:10 AM »
How do you turn off proxy generatiin?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 08:05:30 AM »
How do you turn off proxy generatiin?

In Catalog|Manage Catalogs…, expand the information for the catalog you don't want the previews generated for (i.e., click the triangle in front of its name) and the deselect “Generate Preview & …”.

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 02:15:53 PM »
The import process was also very slow for me running PM+ 3029 on Win10. I was not able to import any significant number of images using the initial beta version 2994.  I was able to import 52k JPEG images using 3029 but only by disabling proxy generation and doing the imports in small batches of 3-5k images at a time. When I tried to import all 52k images at one time the program would hang and I had to quit the process. I also tried scanning smaller batches of 10-15k images at a time and that failed as well. Small batches of 3-5k images worked fine but that process was very slow, took most of the day and required my frequent attention. Hopefully the import process will be optimized before final release.

But the good news is that once the images were imported PM+ runs great and is amazingly fast.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 02:57:32 PM »
William,

The import process was also very slow for me running PM+ 3029 on Win10. I was not able to import any significant number of images using the initial beta version 2994.  I was able to import 52k JPEG images using 3029 but only by disabling proxy generation and doing the imports in small batches of 3-5k images at a time. When I tried to import all 52k images at one time the program would hang and I had to quit the process. I also tried scanning smaller batches of 10-15k images at a time and that failed as well. Small batches of 3-5k images worked fine but that process was very slow, took most of the day and required my frequent attention. Hopefully the import process will be optimized before final release.

But the good news is that once the images were imported PM+ runs great and is amazingly fast.

Where were the images stored, what kind of device?
Where is your catalog located, what kind of device?

If either of those are on a volume that is slow to access then performance will suffer accordingly.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 04:20:28 PM »
The images and catalog are both on a super fast 1TB internal SSD drive on the laptop itself - computer is a top of the line Thinkpad, Xeon CPU, 32Gb RAM, all the best components. These same images import fine in other DAM software and they work fine in PM5 and PM6. ACDSee my current DAM software imports these 52k images in about 15 minutes including generating thumbs and previews. So I don't have any reason to suspect my computer or the images since they work fine in other programs, even PM5 and PM6. It appears that PM Plus running on Win10 Pro has some issue scanning these images. I also note that build 2994 had more problems importing my images that were eliminated in build 3029 which adds to the possibility that the import process still has some glitches?

This import issue is not a major problem to me since it is basically a one time task and well worth the effort as PM Plus is wonderfully fast and I can now find my images quickly and easily using PM hierarchical keywords. It is very nice to have one software package to import my images from our phones and camera into our computer and then find them fast using the new catalog feature instead of having to also import them into separate catalog software and deal with all the incompatibilities between the 2 programs.

In short I am happy and will be ecstatic when you guys resolve the high resolution monitor scaling issues.

Offline Einberger

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 12:32:51 AM »
I really had the same experience. When scaning some folders with small amount of photos (<15K) it is quite fast, if ther are many photos in different folders, its going to be extremely slow, no mattert where the photos are located (local or netword, HD or SSD etc...)