Author Topic: Dates Prior to 1970  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
    • Michael Naylor Fine Art Photography
Dates Prior to 1970
« on: April 29, 2019, 10:01:38 AM »
I can't trial the beta, because I haven't yet purchased a licence, but there's one thing in particular that I'd need to know.  I have thousands of scanned images from the early 1900s which I've meticulously edited the EXIF and IPTC date fields to represent the date the original photos were taken.  Please can someone tell me if PM6+ will recognise and sort on dates prior to 1970?  And, as I have more scanning to do, will PM6+ allow me to add, enter and edit old dates (prior to 1970) to the EXIF and IPTC fields?

If the answer is yes, then I'l be more inclined to fork out for a licence so I can beta test for 'free'.
Michael

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
Re: Dates Prior to 1970
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 10:20:02 AM »
I'd like to chime in with a +1 for supporting early dates. I would be coming from Media Pro (iView, Expression Media), which I believe supports dates from 2 January 1904 and later. I was told back in the iView days that the software relied on the Mac OS to check date validity, so earlier dates would be ignored or misinterpreted. I would really like if PM6+ would respect dates as entered, and not rely on OS limitations.
-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 10:23:56 AM »
Mike,

I can't trial the beta, because I haven't yet purchased a licence, but there's one thing in particular that I'd need to know.  I have thousands of scanned images from the early 1900s which I've meticulously edited the EXIF and IPTC date fields to represent the date the original photos were taken.  Please can someone tell me if PM6+ will recognise and sort on dates prior to 1970?  And, as I have more scanning to do, will PM6+ allow me to add, enter and edit old dates (prior to 1970) to the EXIF and IPTC fields?

Yes, PM has been able to edit and recognize dates prior to 1970 for quite a long time (certainly since PM 4.x when I started working on it.)
However, Catalog searches currently are not sorted.

-Kirk

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
    • Michael Naylor Fine Art Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 12:35:00 PM »
-Kirk

Thank you Kirk, so it's halfway there.  Do you think the search sorting will be implemented during the beta phase?
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 12:36:11 PM »
-Kirk

Thank you Kirk, so it's halfway there.  Do you think the search sorting will be implemented during the beta phase?

Yes