Author Topic: hung while creating catalogue, now not opening  (Read 3155 times)

Offline myotis

• View Profile
hung while creating catalogue, now not opening
« on: April 29, 2019, 03:17:35 PM »
Did a quick test on 700 images and all seemed OK so tried to create catalogue of 26000 images.

Seemed to go well until near end and PM6+ stalled with two folders not indexed (for year 2017 and 2018)  and only 18000 images catalogued.

When generating catalogue, The message "updating 1 catalog 90 batches remain" was at amber but nothing was changing, it had be actively changing till that point.

The preview build message was still building previews, but eventually that completed.  None of the catalogue menus items were now working, menu dropped down but nothing happened when you clicked to see some catalogue function e.g. catalogue status.

As PM6+ was now inactive, I gave it an hour to see if anything happened and as nothing did, I closed down PM6+.

Reopening it, gave me a message that it was taking a long time for the catalogue to open, would I like to open anyway. I chose to open and I get a message saying the catalogue function has been disabled. There is no catalogue menu on the menu bar.

I'm on High Sierra, its build 3029 (9dd0f3c) of PM6+, and the catalogue is on a USB3 external HD.

I assume I have corrupted the catalogue somehow, are there any of the catalogue files that I can delete and maybe get PM6+ to load and repair the database. Or can I just delete everything and start again.

Thanks,

Graham

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: hung while creating catalogue, now not opening
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 05:02:57 PM »
Hi,

Seemed to go well until near end and PM6+ stalled with two folders not indexed (for year 2017 and 2018)  and only 18000 images catalogued.

When generating catalogue, The message "updating 1 catalog 90 batches remain" was at amber but nothing was changing, it had be actively changing till that point.

We're currently investigating an issue where the Catalog system stalls while adding certain images. That definitely shouldn't happen.

As PM6+ was now inactive, I gave it an hour to see if anything happened and as nothing did, I closed down PM6+.

Reopening it, gave me a message that it was taking a long time for the catalogue to open, would I like to open anyway. I chose to open and I get a message saying the catalogue function has been disabled. There is no catalogue menu on the menu bar.

It sounds like there are still some processes stuck from the original stalled session.

If you close PM6+, and open Activity Monitor, if you see any lingering "pm-task" processes, please force them to quit.

Activity Monitor: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464#cpu

Once there are no "pm-task" processes remaining, I expect PM6+ will start up with Catalog features enabled again.

Regards,

Bill

Offline myotis

• View Profile
Re: hung while creating catalogue, now not opening
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 10:28:09 PM »
If you close PM6+, and open Activity Monitor, if you see any lingering "pm-task" processes, please force them to quit.

Thanks Bill, there were 5 pm-task processes running, and after deleting them PM6+ opened.

But, I'm not sure what I do now. How do I try to complete the cataloguing.

I have a top level systems folder (which is what I was scanning) for all raws, which are then split into sub folders by year, then month then day.

PM6+ apparently stalled on 2017 and 2018, as I now have folders in PM6+ for 2013 -2016 and 2019, but no 2017 or 2018.

Can I restart the cataloguing: it isn't obvious to me how to do this.  Or should I try and manually scan 2017 and 2018 into the new catalogue.

Edit: I have now rescanned the same folders into the same catalogue.  Generated 1000's of new previews, but total catalogue is still at 17,433 images which makes it about 10,000 images short.

All tasks have been completed, except for Catalog Metadata update task which is still yellow and now says updating 1 catalog, 622 batches remaining, with nothing happening.

I have one PM-task running which is using over 90% of CPU, and has been running since I started the catalogue in PM6+ about 5 hours ago. There is another PM-task which pops up to the top of the list every so often using 14% of CPU and has been running for about 45 minutes.

I also see with a more detailed search of the forum that a few people are having the same problem.

Another edit:  By creating multiple catalogues folder by folder, I seem to have narrowed the problem down to linear DNG files produced by DXO. I can send you the dNG and associated XMP file if that would help.

I only use DXO (and DNG) for DXO prime noise, so its only an occasional file, and i normally run DXO from Capture One.  I will now try and re-catalogue all 26000 images with DNGs excluded. But, excluding DNG from two different folders, allowed them to be catalogued, where they failed before, on the metadata update.

Cheers,

Graham
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 07:23:52 AM by myotis »