Author Topic: Having trouble adding images to collection  (Read 5891 times)

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
Having trouble adding images to collection
« on: April 29, 2019, 03:34:41 PM »
I'm having trouble adding images to collections.

If I select images in a Search contact sheet, I expect to be able to right-click on a collection and "add selected to this collection". But when I right-click, a context menu appears and instantly disappears and a new contact sheet of that collection opens. The context menu goes by so quickly that I can't see what it says.

It would be nice if a complementary "add selection to collection..." item was in the context menu on the contact sheet, too.

This on a Mac, OS 10.12.6

This thread http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=12168.0  talks about what might be the same issue on Windows 10. Maybe merge them?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Having trouble adding images to collection
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 05:17:42 PM »
Carl,

I'm having trouble adding images to collections.

If I select images in a Search contact sheet, I expect to be able to right-click on a collection and "add selected to this collection". But when I right-click, a context menu appears and instantly disappears and a new contact sheet of that collection opens. The context menu goes by so quickly that I can't see what it says.

That's a bug that we'll have to fix.

It would be nice if a complementary "add selection to collection..." item was in the context menu on the contact sheet, too.

Unfortunately that's a difficult one to implement given the client/server nature of the Catalog feature.  The Contact Sheet doesn't know that you have a collection selected (or not.)

This thread http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=12168.0  talks about what might be the same issue on Windows 10. Maybe merge them?

Added to our task tracking database, I will reference this post as well.

-Kirk

Offline Marv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 04:26:03 AM »
Carl,

I'm sure adding items to a collection is not supposed to be this finicky, but this has worked for me:

1.   Make sure both the "search" and "add/modify" boxes are checked for catalog(s) you plan to use.
2.   Create and name a collection in the collection tab.
3.   Click on the collection and make sure it is highlighted.
4.   Click in the search box, type in the desired search terms, and hit return to execute the search.
5.   Select the images in the contact sheet that you wish to add to the collection.
6.   Right-click (or command-click) in the gray space BELOW the last collection name in the list.  From the pop-up menu, select "Add selected items here."
7.   The images should be added to the selected collection and the collection's count should increase.

Although this works, I think it would be better if we could right-click on the name of the collection and select "Add selected items here" rather than right-clicking the gray space beneath the last collection in the list.

Marv

Mac Pro Quad Core 2.93 (2009/Nehalem)
20GB RAM
OS X 10.10.5

Offline travis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 02:54:20 PM »
Wow. Marv's suggestion of right clicking in no-man's land BELOW the actual folder seems to work. Totally stupid, but works.

Lost a few days trying to figure that one out.

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 02:50:43 PM »
6.   Right-click (or command-click) in the gray space BELOW the last collection name in the list.

Yup. This was the hangup.  I think Kirk is on it.

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 09:34:55 AM »
This looks pretty well fixed in the new build. I can select then right-click on the appropriate place in the Collections tab and expected stuff happens.

Right-click on the green "in catalog" dot in the contact sheet now includes option to add the image to the selected collection. Nice.

Just noticed that the button for my new sub-collection has a bar of some sort. Anybody know what it means?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 09:44:58 AM »
Carl,

This looks pretty well fixed in the new build. I can select then right-click on the appropriate place in the Collections tab and expected stuff happens.

Right-click on the green "in catalog" dot in the contact sheet now includes option to add the image to the selected collection. Nice.

To be clear, right-clicking anywhere on the thumbnail will bring up the same contextual menu.  You don't need to right-click on the little circle.

Just noticed that the button for my new sub-collection has a bar of some sort. Anybody know what it means?

It's the count of items in that sub-collection.

-Kirk

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 11:08:22 AM »
To be clear, right-clicking anywhere on the thumbnail will bring up the same contextual menu.  You don't need to right-click on the little circle.

Even better.

It's the count of items in that sub-collection.

I was talking about the black thing. Which upon a bit more experimentation appears to indicate the selected collection and also grows according to how many assets are in the collection.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 11:26:43 AM »
Carl,

I was talking about the black thing. Which upon a bit more experimentation appears to indicate the selected collection and also grows according to how many assets are in the collection.

Ah, the bar.  It indicates how much the count of items in that sub-collection contribute to the count of items in the parent collections that it belongs.

-Kirk

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 11:29:15 AM »
Ah!

Cool.