Author Topic: Catalog Metadata Updates - Never Finishes & Organizer Browse Fail  (Read 10978 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Catalog Metadata Updates - Never Finishes & Organizer Browse Fail
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 02:41:46 PM »
Jeff,

I upgraded to beta 3, and the new version seems to progress further and dropped from 981 batches, to 499 batches.  I left it overnight and seems to be stuck there.  I wasn't sure if letting it try to continue between versions would have actually worked, so I deleted the catalog, and started over from scratch with the new beta.  Ran it again, and after about 15+ hours now it got stuck at 499 batches again.

So maybe a different file that it is getting stuck at?  @Kirk Baker, was any additional logging added to try and find out where PM+ is hanging?  Is there something I can check to try and find out what the new issue might be?

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder/Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 05:50:13 PM »
The dyn log seems to reset every time you launch PM+.  Since I killed it and had to start again to reveal support data, I added the dyn.1.log file to the .zip so you can see that too which would have been the one running when the catalog got stuck.

See attached.

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 05:02:32 PM »
@Kirk: Did the log files tell you anything?

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 12:38:04 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Did the log files tell you anything?

Indeed, the log helped us identify the problem, which should be fixed in the next build.

Thanks,

Bill

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 03:05:17 PM »
Yay, that is good news, I will be able to properly start testing the catalog features.  Can you tell us what the problem was?

Offline esambo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2019, 11:07:37 AM »
I had the same issue, with the "Catalog Metadata Updates" stuck and not advancing for days.
PM.log mentioned:
Code: [Select]
AppUtilsCommon.cpp:717 AppUtils::HandleTimerCallback: STARVING

and dyn.log mentioned:
CILA::PROTO::RPCClientConn - do_rpc_dispatch: no_handler
DYN: CBits::AM::CatalogMetadataUpdateTask.try_spawn_metadata_update: apply_change_journal_batch failed: [:rpc_timeout]
CILA::FiberPool - fiber outer exception: apply_change_journal_batch failed: [:rpc_timeout]
CatSvc: CBits::LOCALSVC::CatalogSVC - received error at root: ["no_handler", true]

I just upgraded to the latest Beta 4 R3215 and my finally "Catalog Metadata Updates" finished in less than 10 minutes!

The only new entries left in dyn.log are:
[WARN] DYN: CILA::APPSVC::GUI::Expander dispatch_event: no handler for event "expander_toggle" on component id 546

[WARN] CatSvc: CBits::AM::DB::CatalogDB - ArgumentError: invalid date location=
 ./archive/common/localsvc/camerabits_catalog/model.rb:3451:in `parse',
 ./archive/common/localsvc/camerabits_catalog/model.rb:3451:in `block in parse_and_fetch_timestamp_components',
 /Applications/Photo Mechanic Plus.app/Contents/pmruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/2.2.0/cila/noraise.rb:24:in `noraise',
 ./archive/common/localsvc/camerabits_catalog/model.rb:3450:in `parse_and_fetch_timestamp_components',
 ./archive/common/localsvc/camerabits_catalog/model.rb:3020:in `insert_or_update_search'

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2019, 04:11:51 AM »
Yay, I upgraded to the latest beta, and all of the files scanned into the catalog this time so I can start playing with the other features now.

For some reason the "Tasks" pane in the main PM+ window was not visible again so when I started scanning into the catalog on Windows 10 version I didn't see anything, I added the Tasks window and it was blank.  Like before, opening the preview window for an image from the contact sheet showed the tasks in that so I could see the progress of the catalog.  After it was finished, I could close PM+ and then re-open it again and now those tasks were shown but for some reason it will not update with any info the first time you make it visible on the main screen.