Author Topic: Vocabulary / metadata editor?  (Read 3783 times)

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
Vocabulary / metadata editor?
« on: April 29, 2019, 05:55:40 PM »
I am not a PM6 user or PM6+ beta tester, so I can't explore the app to find out myself, but perhaps there's a simple answer to my question: Where is the metadata editor in PM6+?

I'm talking about the tool for managing the database contents directly (comparable to the "Vocabulary Editor" in Media Pro). I couldn't find anything in the PM6+ Read Me file that explains how users manage/edit the metadata index/database (not the metadata associated with any specific image). Did I miss something obvious?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 06:11:10 PM by syncrasy »
-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Vocabulary / metadata editor?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 06:35:02 PM »
I am not a PM6 user or PM6+ beta tester, so I can't explore the app to find out myself, but perhaps there's a simple answer to my question: Where is the metadata editor in PM6+?

I'm talking about the tool for managing the database contents directly (comparable to the "Vocabulary Editor" in Media Pro). I couldn't find anything in the PM6+ Read Me file that explains how users manage/edit the metadata index/database (not the metadata associated with any specific image). Did I miss something obvious?

I don't know what a Vocabulary Editor is.  Perhaps you could describe it in detail?

-Kirk

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 07:08:07 PM »

I don't know what a Vocabulary Editor is.  Perhaps you could describe it in detail?

-Kirk

From the Media Pro user's guide:
In MediaPro, a vocabulary is a set of annotations. When you annotate a media item in the Info or
Organize panel, there is a list of available annotation terms that appear as a drop-down list. A
vocabulary, then, is a collection of all those lists of known terms for each field. For example, one list
for keywords, one list for people, etc.

The Vocabulary Editor enables you to edit this list; to set up annotation terms that are associated
with each other; create multiple sets of annotations (vocabularies) for different purposes and
also lock the vocabulary so that only annotation terms in a vocabulary can be used.

It helps create "controlled vocabularies" (a concept used by DAMs like Media Pro and Lightroom). You could have one vocabulary for stock nature photos, another for commercial sports photography, another for personal family genealogy photos, etc.

I gather PM6+ doesn't have such a tool, so essentially there's just one "vocabulary" that serves the entire app. That's okay, but since PM6+ specifically adds DAM features and cataloguing, I was curious if there was a new "global" metadata editing tool added to PM6+ above and beyond the tools in PM6. I believe in PM6 metadata is managed in the separate "on the fly" master lists (e.g., Edit Keywords... > Master Keyword List) or the Structured Keywords Panel. Is my understanding correct?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 07:35:24 PM by syncrasy »
-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 07:36:01 PM »
That is correct, yes.

-Kirk