Author Topic: GPS database in PM6  (Read 1984 times)

Offline neil@dg28.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
GPS database in PM6
« on: April 30, 2019, 04:52:29 AM »
I use cameras with GPS and the way that GPS has ben implemented in PM6 looks very useful. I have tried it out a few times and the way that locations are reported here in the United Kingdom is a little off. As an example, my home is in a town called Bournemouth but the GPS tag shows up as Queens Park which is a suburb about two miles from my home. I'd be delighted if I could persuade people that I actually live in Queens Park as it is a more expensive area that where I actually live but that's another matter.

So, the question is this: can I alter the way that the longitude and latitude actually report my location? Is there a way to edit the database, change databases (my SatNav gets it right) or is it Canon's fault?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: GPS database in PM6
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 06:55:40 AM »
PM uses the GPS coordinates it finds in the file. It is very well possible that these are off, for various reasons, including a faulty GPS unit. If they are wrong in camera, the only solution would be to correct them. This you can do with PM quite easily: right click on the image and select “Set GPS coordinates”. This will open a window in which you can alter the coordinates. Either by entering then numerically, or via the map that is shown.

Enjoy,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: GPS database in PM6
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 07:27:16 AM »
Neil,

I use cameras with GPS and the way that GPS has ben implemented in PM6 looks very useful. I have tried it out a few times and the way that locations are reported here in the United Kingdom is a little off. As an example, my home is in a town called Bournemouth but the GPS tag shows up as Queens Park which is a suburb about two miles from my home. I'd be delighted if I could persuade people that I actually live in Queens Park as it is a more expensive area that where I actually live but that's another matter.

So, the question is this: can I alter the way that the longitude and latitude actually report my location? Is there a way to edit the database, change databases (my SatNav gets it right) or is it Canon's fault?

Are you using Reverse Geocoding to look up the city/town information?  If so, it may be that the OpenStreetMap database that we use may be lacking quality information.  Could you share one of your GPS coordinates that isn't working correctly?

-Kirk