Author Topic: Edit City Country Month Variables for Native Language  (Read 5253 times)

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • Morten Vassing│Photojournalist
Edit City Country Month Variables for Native Language
« on: April 06, 2007, 01:25:02 PM »
Now with 4.5 and the inclusion of foreign letters in the IPTC, it could be useful to change the month, city and country name to the native language; i.e. January to januar or May to maj in the Danish  language for those of us who wish to make non-English captions for some our clients.

I use this variation of IPTC caption with PM Variables for all my files:

{city}, {country}--{monthname} {day}, {year4}--Write caption here--Photo by {photog}/{credit} on {monthname} {day}, {year4} at {time}

making this result:

COPENHAGEN, Denmark--April 6, 2007--Write caption here--Photo by Morten Vassing/www.vassing.com on April 6, 2007 at 11:07:19

but what I would like it to be like this:

KØBENHAVN, Danmark--6. april 2007--Write caption here--Foto: Morten Vassing/www.vassing.com den 6. april 2007 klokken 11:07:19

Is that possible right now - or something to be considered for future updates...

Best,

Morten Vassing

http://vassing.com
Morten Vassing│Photojournalist - COPENHAGEN│Denmark - Nikon D3│MacBook Pro │ Mac OS X (10.8)│PM5

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Edit City Country Month Variables for Native Language
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 01:38:52 PM »
Morten,

Now with 4.5 and the inclusion of foreign letters in the IPTC, it could be useful to change the month, city and country name to the native language; i.e. January to januar or May to maj in the Danish  language for those of us who wish to make non-English captions for some our clients.

I use this variation of IPTC caption with PM Variables for all my files:

{city}, {country}--{monthname} {day}, {year4}--Write caption here--Photo by {photog}/{credit} on {monthname} {day}, {year4} at {time}

making this result:

COPENHAGEN, Denmark--April 6, 2007--Write caption here--Photo by Morten Vassing/www.vassing.com on April 6, 2007 at 11:07:19

but what I would like it to be like this:

KØBENHAVN, Danmark--6. april 2007--Write caption here--Foto: Morten Vassing/www.vassing.com den 6. april 2007 klokken 11:07:19

Is that possible right now - or something to be considered for future updates...

It's not entirely possible now, but I think that's a good idea.  You could certainly get {city}, {country},  {photog}, and {credit} to work since all you have to do is enter the text you want to use in your language of choice.

It's the other stuff like:
{monthname}
{monthname3}
{dow}
{dow3}
{iptcdow}
{iptcdow3}
{iptcmonthname}
{iptcmonthname3}
{todaydow}
{todaydow3}
{todaymonthname}
{todaymonthname3}

...for which we would need language-specific equivalents.

It would be great if everyone could post values for each of the above variables (please let me know if I've forgotten any) for their language of choice.

Then we could have a preference for choosing the variables language and this could all done automatically.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: Edit City Country Month Variables for Native Language
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 05:03:53 PM »

It's the other stuff like:
{monthname}
{monthname3}
{dow}
{dow3}
{iptcdow}
{iptcdow3}
{iptcmonthname}
{iptcmonthname3}
{todaydow}
{todaydow3}
{todaymonthname}
{todaymonthname3}

...for which we would need language-specific equivalents.

It would be great if everyone could post values for each of the above variables (please let me know if I've forgotten any) for their language of choice.

Then we could have a preference for choosing the variables language and this could all done automatically.

-Kirk

Aren't these variables working from the info given by the operating system? My Windows calls the weekdays in the language you set it to use for it in Regional Settings. If you set it to use Dannish, shouldn't it get these names in Dannish as well? However both find and replace and more likely Code Replacement is a solution for these.

If I'm wrong with the above, and PM uses its own internal system for day, month, etc names than it would be a good solution to include possibilities of multilinguality in variable names. For example for my english customer I use {todaymonthname} or {todaymonthnameUS} but for my french one I use {todaymonthnameFR} and for the german {todaymonthnameGER} and so on. This could make sense for me too, because for my own archive I use english, but for different customers I have to caption in their local languages.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com