Author Topic: Move to folder  (Read 5138 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Move to folder
« on: April 06, 2007, 04:52:08 PM »
I like very much the Breeze Browser feature of putting the deleted (rather marked for delete) images into a subfolder named deleted. I find it much more useful than using the system recycle bin used by tons of applications. At least this could appear as an option in PM preferences besides the delte to recycle bin option.

I often use the above mentioned feature to sort images into folders by content. However some applications have very nice solutions to move files to folder. I know PM can do this with the Copy to function and move (delete after copy) marked. But I like better the way Fast Stone Image Viewer does. It offers a list of directories recently used for move, so you don't have to crawl the directory tree. And it offers a text box for your path if you prefer typing over clickign. Into this field you may enter new, non existing folder names and it only asks for confirmation to create it. This type in kind of filed could also be used with variables to solve more complex matters (see below).

I would like to see these in PM as a manual way of moving files but more advanced than having them dragged onto folders in the navigator panel. More to this could be the possibility to use variables in the copy/move images to option. It could allow users to use IPTC fields or any other info field as a sorting option. For example names or plate numbers are often used to identify subjects of the images and I often have to sort images for my clinets based on these identifiers. It would be the best to have PM doing this during my workflow....maybe combined with the move to location idea mentioned above.

So aftert IPTC tagging images you would have to select them and click Move to folder. A dialog would come up like copy to does now, but it would have a text field for the destination where you could enter the desired path including variables (example: c:\2007-02-15_CarRace\{headline}\{filename})
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: Move to folder
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 05:30:33 AM »
applications have very nice solutions to move files to folder. I know PM can do this with the Copy to function and move (delete after copy) marked. But I like better the way Fast Stone Image Viewer does. It offers a list of directories recently used for move, so you don't have to crawl the directory tree. And it offers a text box for your path if you prefer typing over clickign. Into this field you may enter new, non existing folder names and it only asks for confirmation to create it. This type in kind of filed could also be used with variables to solve more complex matters (see below).

Yes please!

A better [copy/move/save as] file destination dialog would be good. At least a field to enter the path directly by keyboard.
Why? Currently, on a notebook without external mouse, in the field it is quite slow to navigate trough many directories to get from the one opened by default to my preferred location - because I have to click on all the little plus boxes (Win version), et cetera, from "my documents/photos/in/2007.../etc" to e.g. "c:\!!!edit" where I pickup the files to photoshop. And creating non-existent path with only a confirmation. And it's easy using the touchpad to misclick and copy them to another directory by mistake.

All because currently it can't be done using keyboard, while everything else is very keyboard centric in PM (which is good for notebook users), this is not.

This could streamline the copying/moving/saving files around a lot.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: Move to folder
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 03:04:17 AM »
I still hope to see this or some similar advance in the copy/move dialog some time...
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com