Author Topic: Data compression  (Read 5671 times)

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Data compression
« on: May 01, 2019, 01:21:12 PM »
Hi,
I have noticed that with approximately 64.000 files (corresponding to 32.000 photos, raw+jpeg), the catalogue has occupied around 22 gigabytes of hard disk. I would like to suggest creating a compression tool to reduce the size of the catalogue without loss of performance in the queries (filters).
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
- Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Data compression
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 01:24:28 PM »
Luiz,

I have noticed that with approximately 64.000 files (corresponding to 32.000 photos, raw+jpeg), the catalogue has occupied around 22 gigabytes of hard disk. I would like to suggest creating a compression tool to reduce the size of the catalogue without loss of performance in the queries (filters).

We're planning on letting you choose both the JPEG quality and size of the previews.  So if you don't mind having a 30 quality and 800px preview, you'll save space.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 03:16:32 PM »
Hi, Kirk
Thanks for your quick reply.
Regards,
- Luiz Muzzi

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 03:35:48 AM »
Luiz,

Another space saver: if your catalog and its files are local, don't generate the previews at all. In case of local files, the preview is completely unnecessary :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 03:11:40 PM »
Luiz,

Another space saver: if your catalog and its files are local, don't generate the previews at all. In case of local files, the preview is completely unnecessary :)

Hi, Hayo
My catalog is local, but my files are in an external HD. However, I will only open PM+ when the external drive is connected. Do you think I need to generate the previews? If not, what can I do to eliminate them if catalog has already generated previews?
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
- Luiz Muzzi

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 11:44:56 PM »
In your case you would not need the previews. I don't know how to remove them though. Perhaps you can simply remove everything from the proxies directory in the catalog, but perhaps @Kirk can confirm that.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 04:55:31 PM »
In your case you would not need the previews. I don't know how to remove them though. Perhaps you can simply remove everything from the proxies directory in the catalog, but perhaps @Kirk can confirm that.

Hi, Hayo
I did exactly that. I simply deleted everything from the proxies directory and it worked well.
I can still access the catalog on my external hd and freed 32,15 GB of space in my mac.
Thanks.
Regards,
- Luiz Muzzi