Author Topic: how to eliminate unnecessary files like amp when view catalog  (Read 7554 times)

Offline jedbest

• View Profile
I know this was ansered before but I seem unable to find it. as I use C1 V12 in session mode I want to avoid looking at the C1 database and just the raw images but I cannot find the way to do so.

thank you

'Jed

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: how to eliminate unnecessary files like amp when view catalog
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 07:25:28 AM »
I know this was ansered before but I seem unable to find it. as I use C1 V12 in session mode I want to avoid looking at the C1 database and just the raw images but I cannot find the way to do so.

What is an "amp" file?

To hide all file types that PM doesn't recognize, go to the View menu and uncheck the "Unknown files as proxies" menu item.

-Kirk

Offline esambo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 07:31:52 PM »
The all or nothing approach of the "Unknown files as proxies" is often too extreme, because I still want to know that I have some (sadly) unsupported image files (like HEIC).
A lot more useful would be to have a white and/or black list of file extensions.

Offline Marv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 07:22:28 PM »
If there are files you never need in your catalog, exclude them from the import.   For example, if you never need .eps files in your catalog just add .eps to the "file extensions to exclude" in the "Scan to Catalog" dialog.

Marv

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 04:43:08 AM »
In my case, I want to import certain files like video files (.mov) so I have them on my system, but I use a video editor for that and don't want to see those in my contact sheet in PM+ because I just want to work with photo files.  It would also be helpful to be able to filter out certain known file types as well.  You can't always just exclude importing certain files since you need them outside of PM+.

If there are files you never need in your catalog, exclude them from the import.   For example, if you never need .eps files in your catalog just add .eps to the "file extensions to exclude" in the "Scan to Catalog" dialog.

Marv

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 05:37:10 AM »
The answer to this is still to simply exclude certain file types when scanning to catalog. Just like Marv said. I don’t understand why you say this isn’t possible because other software uses these files. When scanning to catalog, all files remain at their current location, enabling other software to use them as before...
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 07:21:10 AM »
Hayo,

The answer to this is still to simply exclude certain file types when scanning to catalog. Just like Marv said. I don’t understand why you say this isn’t possible because other software uses these files. When scanning to catalog, all files remain at their current location, enabling other software to use them as before...

I think Jeff is talking about his initial import (download) from his card and interaction with the folder-based contact sheets.  He would like to filter those files out when browsing folders prior to adding anything to his catalogs.

-Kirk

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 09:45:27 PM »
Yes that is correct.  I was talking about the initial import/ingest of the files from the card to my computer, and not the scanning of files to the catalog.

I think Jeff is talking about his initial import (download) from his card and interaction with the folder-based contact sheets.  He would like to filter those files out when browsing folders prior to adding anything to his catalogs.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 10:00:25 PM »
Yes that is correct.  I was talking about the initial import/ingest of the files from the card to my computer, and not the scanning of files to the catalog.

Right, sorry, misunderstood since the original subject was about the catalog. In that case I suggest you open the memory card in a contact sheet, sort by file type or e.g. {fbas:-4}, select all files you want and then ingest using that selection. Works nicely albeit non-automatically.
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 10:07:57 PM »
Hayo,

Right, sorry, misunderstood since the original subject was about the catalog. In that case I suggest you open the memory card in a contact sheet, sort by file type or e.g. {fbas:-4}, select all files you want and then ingest using that selection. Works nicely albeit non-automatically.

Hmm.  I think Jeff wants all files ingested, he just doesn't want to see them in his contact sheet, even if they're there in the folder he's browsing.  He wants to filter out specific file types, which is currently not a feature that PM6 offers.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 10:58:16 PM »

Hmm.  I think Jeff wants all files ingested, he just doesn't want to see them in his contact sheet, even if they're there in the folder he's browsing.  He wants to filter out specific file types, which is currently not a feature that PM6 offers.

Hmm. Still in that case, sorting by file-type or {fbas:-4} would help to group the video from the non-video files. So even while they are still visible, they at least can be easily ignored as a block.
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 06:17:36 AM »
That is what I have been doing as a workaround, except that because I am using a sort, every time I add a new file or change a file in that folder or put focus back on the main PM6 window, it re-sorts and for 4-5 seconds shows an unsorted version of the contact sheet before it finishes re-applying the sort view and I can easily find the next photo I want to work on.

Hmm. Still in that case, sorting by file-type or {fbas:-4} would help to group the video from the non-video files. So even while they are still visible, they at least can be easily ignored as a block.