Author Topic: More File Formats  (Read 7670 times)

Offline ralf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
More File Formats
« on: May 03, 2019, 05:04:59 AM »
Hello,

I am willing to migrade from Iview Media Pro to PM 6+ but I have a problem with file formats. Beside JPG and TIFF files I use also very often JPG2000 (J2; JPF; JPX etc.). PM is not supporting these file types and it seems PM 6+ doesn´t either. If that could change, it would be fabulous. If this is not possible, I would at least have the option that PM 6+ recognises these file format even if it is not supporting it. It could show instead of a preview a logo or something, so that I know that these file exist on my hard drive.

Thank you
Ralf

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: More File Formats
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 06:07:15 AM »
Awaiting support for JPG2000 (of which I'm not even sure is planned; I think .HEIC support is much more needed), if you turn on View|Unknown files as proxies, then you will see the unknown files. You can even open them (e.g. right click, Edit Photo). So apart from metadata support and the ability to see the image (thumbnail), the files are sort of usable.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline esambo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 06:09:12 PM »
HEIC support is missing and I would LOVE to see it supported. (ApolloOne.app supports HEIC with embedded metadata editing, but it's an otherwise rather basic app, besides the awesome metadata filter capability)

Offline ralf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 02:52:34 AM »
Awaiting support for JPG2000 (of which I'm not even sure is planned; I think .HEIC support is much more needed), if you turn on View|Unknown files as proxies, then you will see the unknown files. You can even open them (e.g. right click, Edit Photo). So apart from metadata support and the ability to see the image (thumbnail), the files are sort of usable.

Hello,

as far as I know, HEIC is not supported by Windows or older MacOS at least at the moment. As a professional photographer, I have to distribute my images in the possibly highest quality at the lowest file size. JP2 does that for me and my clients and it works on all platforms. For the same reason, I store the majority of my files in JP2.

But thank you for the tip regarding the „Unknown files as proxies“ tip.
Ralf

Offline OldRadioGuy

• Retired broadcast journalist/educator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 05:56:09 PM »
... if you turn on View|Unknown files as proxies, then you will see the unknown files. ...

This is great unless you also use something like ON1 Photo RAW, which will fill the Contact Sheet with .ON1 sidecar files once you've opened a folder in Photo RAW.

Bob
-------------
Olympus E-M1 Mark III, Olympus PEN-F

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 07:10:10 PM »
Bob,

... if you turn on View|Unknown files as proxies, then you will see the unknown files. ...

This is great unless you also use something like ON1 Photo RAW, which will fill the Contact Sheet with .ON1 sidecar files once you've opened a folder in Photo RAW.

ON1 sidecar files should now be associated with their corresponding RAW file.  In the Files section of the Preferences dialog, click on the "Edit..." button to the right of the text "Manage file associations:" and make sure that ON1 is active.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 08:54:17 AM »
Kirk:

I've done exactly that, and the OnOne files still show as a separate item in the contact sheet. See attached.

Offline OldRadioGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 08:53:26 AM »
Kirk:

I've done exactly that, and the OnOne files still show as a separate item in the contact sheet. See attached.

Even if this problem is fixed, there's still a chance for non-Adobe users to find a bunch of oddball sidecar files among the supported image thumbnails.

A better way IMHO would be to have an "Add File Format" option. The user would then, for example, add .afphoto to a list of non-supported file formats that would be recognized by PM+ and shown in the contact sheet.

And FYI regarding ON1 files: In addition to its sidecar file, version 12 of ON1 Photo RAW introduced a new proprietary .onphoto format to handle the processing and saving of image adjustments with layers.
-------------

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 09:10:38 AM »

Even if this problem is fixed, there's still a chance for non-Adobe users to find a bunch of oddball sidecar files among the supported image thumbnails.

A better way IMHO would be to have an "Add File Format" option. The user would then, for example, add .afphoto to a list of non-supported file formats that would be recognized by PM+ and shown in the contact sheet.

Do you mean not shown in the contact sheet?

And FYI regarding ON1 files: In addition to its sidecar file, version 12 of ON1 Photo RAW introduced a new proprietary .onphoto format to handle the processing and saving of image adjustments with layers.

Is it a file or a folder?  Could you post one here please?

-Kirk

Offline OldRadioGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 06:12:21 PM »

-Kirk

It's a file. However, an example is too large for this board. What is the option for getting the file to you?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 05:00:49 AM by OldRadioGuy »
-------------

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 07:20:46 AM »

It's a file. However, an example is too large for this board. What is the option for getting the file to you?

We have an FTP server to which I can give you the credentials privately, or you can use one of the many cloud-based file sharing services and share a link with me.

-Kirk